Getting rid of unpleasant smell from corny keg lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justabeergeek

Reaction score
We're getting ready to keg our first brew, and we're working with a ball-lock corny leg that was given to us. The liquid dip tube and the lid had a really nasty smell that I assumed was the o-rings, so I got rid of them. I just did an overnight PBW soak and the smell is gone from the dip tube, but the lid still has an awful, somewhat metallic scent. I'm not even sure how to describe it. Any ideas?

image-3861390376.jpg

dip it in diluted vinegar for a day. I think it may remove that white crap too.

What's that hole in there?

I'm assuming that is the hole for the pressure relief valve. Do you think Starsan would work just as well, or should I stick with vinegar?

Oh, and that "white stuff" on the center is just because I took a picture while it was drying.

starsan won't remove deep smells. Vinegar or another diluted acid is probably your best bet.

The only way I could get rid of the smell from a plastic lid was to soak it in a diluded bleach solution.

The only way I could get rid of the smell from a plastic lid was to soak it in a diluded bleach solution.

Yea, if I can't get the smell out with a 1/2 water 1/2 vinegar soak overnight, I'll do a bleach solution. How diluted should I make it? And is there any problem with soaking the metal along with it, or should I take off the metal parts?

Back