A hops question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSArider

Reaction score
I'm about to brew a smoked maple amber ale useing maple sap for water, 6 lbs DME, 1 lb of crystal malt, and a1/4 lb of German smoked malt. It calls for 23 grams of cascade hops at 60 min. and 25 grams of Northern Brewer and 60 min. My question concens the % of alpha acids. The Cascade is 6.1% and the Northern is 9.4% while the recipe calls for 5% and 9% respectively. Will this make a noticable difference? I brewed this before but failed to take notes when I did, all I know is that it had a very mild maple aftertaste and aroma and I don't want to overpower that. Any thoughts??
Thanks

For a mild beer especially, I would probably scale your bittering hop addition proportionally.

So if it calls for 23 grams of 5% cascade, that would be equivalent to 18.9 grams of 6.1% cascade. Likewise, 25 grams of 9% NB would be equivalent to 23.9 grams of 9.4%.

Latest posts

Back