How much Orval dregs for barleywine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolly

Reaction score
I want to brett one gallon of my english barleywine. Its 9.5% alcohol and finished at 1.020. I have two small bottles of Orval that say they were bottled on 10/2/2011 which I assume means february since today is only 9/30.

Should I pitch both?

Like mentioned, 1 good but for quicker bacteria flavor, 2 will help.
In international dates its year month day. 100211 is feb 11, 2010.
Drunken trivia

Trivia: Orval writes out the full year so they just use the very easy to understand day month year format.

Why we use month day year I will never know. It does beat year day month in all numbers like I had to do for security paperwork in the USAF all the time.

I've had mostly good, but some mixed results, with Orval dregs. This probably isn't too helpful, but I would add that it depends on a few things, namely:

• Viability of the yeast within each individual bottle
    • tons of factors here (shipping, storage, temps, etc)
  • Your goal & how long you are willing to wait for results
    • do you want subtle brett character, super funky, do you want to retain the barleywine body/sweetness or let it get really dry, etc.
1.020 is a good amount of residual sugar for the dregs to work on so it could go for awhile. Having said that, a 1 gallon jug as your fermenter gives you the luxury of easily cold crashing or pasteurizing once you are happy with the flavor profile.

So I ended up adding the dregs of two Orval bottles to my gallon of finished beer one week ago. I do not see any activity at all. Is this normal? I'm even using an S-type airlock to make it easier to see if there is any CO2 activity.

In international dates its year month day. 100211 is feb 11, 2010.
Drunken trivia

Very drunken trivia. And the first I've heard of it, or seen it, written that way. It's typically, in Europe at least, DD/MM/YYYY to avoid confusion on the year part. Sometimes YY instead of the four, which can add confusion if everything is under 12.

So I ended up adding the dregs of two Orval bottles to my gallon of finished beer one week ago. I do not see any activity at all. Is this normal? I'm even using an S-type airlock to make it easier to see if there is any CO2 activity.

It's going to be a while before you see any activity in the beer. Since brett does not produce CO2 at the same level as sacc strains you are probably more likely to see a pellicle form than bubbling in the airlock.

You need to wait months, not weeks.

Back