Smoked Dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYCBrewGuy

Reaction score
Haven't seen much posted on these types of recipes. I've heard of smoked hefeweizen, though never tasted one. But its winter and dark beers seem more appropriate, so I just brewed a smoked dunkelweizen.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 58.54 %
2.50 lb Smoked Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 24.39 %
1.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 14.63 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.44 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.40 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 16.6 IBU
1 Pkgs Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) Yeast-Wheat

OG 1.052
16.6 IBU
14.3 SRM

I'm wondering if anyone has made a similar brew, and if so, how did it come out and what temp. did you ferment at? I'm thinking that I want a little less yeast flavor than usual, so as not to clash with the smoke. I plan to keep temperatures on the lower side, maybe 65-68F (that's where I have it right now at least). Fermentation hasn't kicked off just yet but I imagine I'll wake up to some action. I've never used 3068 but I hear its wise to set up a blow -off tube.

Thoughts?

Will post tasting notes and follow up if anyone is interested

I just made a smoked honey dunkleweizen.partial and added crystal 60, honeymalt,carapils,and roasted barley and some honey. I played it safe and didnt go overboard on the amount except maybe the buffet of grains. I didnt add as much smoked as you but ive never used it and havent really researched much on it but have been told it can take months to blend. I used o5 yeast and some whitbred goldings with the hallatuar tradition.

I just brewed a hefe with 3068. Use a blow-off tube. I had 5.25 gallons or so in an 8 gallon fermenter, and even that needed a bigger blow-off tube than I had.

Also, the one time I used smoked malt was in with a rye ale using kolsch yeast. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/german-smoked-rye-ale-210013/index2.html
I had one tonight and the 30% rauchmalt was pretty subtle, but nice. I imagine you will find it to be similar in smoke levels.

I've had Schlenkerla's smoked weizen, but I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference from that to the smoked marzen due to the intense smoke profile. THAT might be an avenue of research, too.

I've had Schlenkerla's smoked weizen, but I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference from that to the smoked marzen due to the intense smoke profile. THAT might be an avenue of research, too.

I've heard Schlenkerla uses 100% rauchmalt, so I wouldn't worry about approaching that level.

Right, but i don't know what their recipe looks like in order for their Weizen to be considered a weizen. I would imagine there's some wheat or wheat malt in there.

I too needed a huge blowoff tube for 3068. I had been warned fortunately so I was all set. Bottled my batch last week after an extended primary (got busy and never had a chance to bottle). Sample tasted good. The smell was much more banana than I wanted. I had kept temp on the low side hoping to get more clove, less fruit. The taste was a little smokier than I expected, but in a good way. I'm sure there will be quite a difference between unconditioned, 60 degree, flat beer and carbed and conditioned, chilled final product. But my initial reaction is that I might have a little too much going on and that the smoke and hefe characteristics are both a bit too strong. I'm optimistic that time and chilling will subdue the banana and smoke flavors and that they'll blend well... but since this was a first attempt at the recipe I'm sure some tweaking is needed.

As for Schlenkerla, I've had the smoked wheat and, like almost all Schlenkerla's that I've tasted it is pretty damn smokey. The exception is their helles, which they claim does not use smoked malt, but still has a light smoke flavor.

I too needed a huge blowoff tube for 3068. I had been warned fortunately so I was all set. Bottled my batch last week after an extended primary (got busy and never had a chance to bottle). Sample tasted good. The smell was much more banana than I wanted. I had kept temp on the low side hoping to get more clove, less fruit. The taste was a little smokier than I expected, but in a good way. I'm sure there will be quite a difference between unconditioned, 60 degree, flat beer and carbed and conditioned, chilled final product. But my initial reaction is that I might have a little too much going on and that the smoke and hefe characteristics are both a bit too strong. I'm optimistic that time and chilling will subdue the banana and smoke flavors and that they'll blend well... but since this was a first attempt at the recipe I'm sure some tweaking is needed.

As for Schlenkerla, I've had the smoked wheat and, like almost all Schlenkerla's that I've tasted it is pretty damn smokey. The exception is their helles, which they claim does not use smoked malt, but still has a light smoke flavor.

NYCBrewGuy

If your still on this forum How did this come out after it had bottle conditioned? Looking for a Dunkleweizen recipe to break in the new grain mill I got for Xmas and this one sounds good.

I had a friend carry some Aecht Schlenkerla beers back from Munich in his luggage and was surprised by their smoked wheat (pic below). I'm a big fan of beechwood smoked malt and would like to try making a similar smoke dunkelweizen someday.

From the Aecht Schlenkerla website:
"The portion of barley malt is hereby a classic Schlenkerla smokemalt, while the wheat malt remains unsmoked."

I'd guess this is 50% smoked Munich / 50% pale (or dark???) wheat. This would be a tough beer to clone with the commercial sold beechwood smoked malt.

Smoked Weizen.jpg

Back