1st Year Container Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAMPLER

Reaction score
Walmart has 18 gallon rubber totes for under $5 each. Is ths something that would be a good starter for container growing fora first year.

I plan on planting the ground next year if I can get thing off on the right foot this year.

Any ideas?

Should be in the right range. I have seen suggestions of 20 gallons as a min but have also heard of plenty of people planting in 5 gallon home depot buckets for the first year.

planted zeus, brewers gold and cascade using these:
051596080167lg.jpg

from Lowes drilled a few small holes in the bottom for drainage just over $6 for a 20g container, add 160 pounds ($5.20)of top soil and rhizomes :D . can't wait! added wood tomato stakes for the trellis. will post pictures later.

here is how i am planning on putting up the trellis. 8' tomato stakes with hooks a the top so i can feed the twine through to allow them to continue to grow up. ( drilled a pilot hole to avoided cracking the wood, the screw driver just helped screw in the hook.)

this is my setup...total cost is around $20

Latest posts

Back