How long should the yeast cake....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you transfer it into a gallon jug? That's what I do, then I place it in the fridge so the yeast can flocculate and decant as much of the trub (and beer) as possible. I use my yeast cake by the next day, usually. I just plan my brews so that when one is done fermenting I make another and repitch, this way the yeast stays relatively fresh. I believe when the yeast is properly stored it can remain for up to a month or more. Just be careful if you bottle it, make sure fermentation is complete, because you don't want bottle bombs. I think the best solution is to use it as soon as you can, that way it's fresh and viable.

Maybe I need to be more specific, because I am not really sure what you are saying.... I'm fermenting my first batch of wort, I got the dry yeast going with some warm water. I pitched it, then the next morning it was bubbling real good, and today the yeast cake is gone for the most part. At its greatest point it was only an inch thick. I'm keeping it at 65-68 degrees. Is this normal? Do I pitch more yeast? This is my first go at fermenting; I need some help. Thanks

I think you are talking about the krausen, the foam and bubbles that form on the top of the beer as it ferments. Yeast cake refers to the slurry of yeast at the bottom of the feremter that remains and can be used for subsequent batches.

If that is the case, RDWHAHB! I rarely ever look at the krausen. Was there a strong fermentation, a lot of airlock activity? It is very common for a beer to feremtent to 80% of completion and slow down after 48 hours. Leave it for a week then check the gravity.

Yeah I was wondering if I had my terminology wrong, but yeah that the situation. There was lots of activity. There is still some (clears throat) "krausen" at the top but not near as much. Ok, I trust you and Im feeling better about it. Ok Ok..... So I've seen "RDWHAHB" a few times, this means nothing to me.... and when I check the gravity in a week; what am I looking for? It was at 1.045 before I started the fermenting. Thanks for everything!

Back