Primary time for Lager at Ale temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edecambra

Reaction score
Ok, I live in South Florida and my house is kept at a balmy 79 degrees. I have NO space for a real cooling system. All this means that I am currently brewing a steam type beer with Saflager S-23 dry yeast. It is fermenting like crazy right now and my blow-off vessel is foaming up quite a bit. It is in a plastic tub and I can keep the temps around 67-70 degrees with ice bottles.

My question is: how long to ferment? Secondary, or Primary only?

I know there are tons of posts on this subject, but I have looked through about 15 different posts and I have not gotten the answer to my question. Some people say that if the yeast are at these temps for too long they can metabolize the alcohol into some type of acid. Other people say that I need to primary for longer for the yeast to "scrub" out any off flavors.

Any suggestions? What have you done in this situation? And yes I know I should keep my lager temps a bit cooler for optimal beer but it's too late! It's brewing!:rockin:

I know that this beer --> http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/olvisholt-skjalfti/84417/ <-- is brewed with S-23 at temperatures around 19°C (around 66°F). I believe the lagering period is around one month, however I am not 100% certain.
Just let it ferment out, give it a couple of days extra in the primary, then lager it for a month.
I'll bet that you will get a great beer.

Back