Fermentation temperature too hot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eon

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have my american pale ale using Safale US-05 yeast in the primary. The crystal thermometer that came with my brewing kit is reading 75 degrees. Can this be accurate? is this too hot?

I have the fermenter in my basement. It's not too cold. It seems just right down there.

I had the fermenter in my bedroom closet and the thermometer was at 73 so I moved it down stairs trying to get the temp down a little. Now it's up two degrees!

Sure, it can be accurate. During fermentation it's not uncommon for the wort temp to be 5+ degrees over ambient. That's the main reason I (and many on here) have designed some sort of method to keep the temps under control. Do a search for 'fermentation chamber' and plenty will come up. In the mean time, put a wet t-shirt over the bucket/carboy. That will help bring down the temp for the short term, but it looks like your gonna have to do some planning for your next brew......

Back