beer color off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigZ

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have brewed two batches and am working on a third currently. The first two were done at the same time, and came out okay. They were a darker brownish color (supposed to be an oktoberfest and an american pale ale). now i dont know too much about what color beers are supposed to be, but like i said these turned out pretty brown (like an amberbock). I didnt think anything of the coloration until me and my buddy started brewing our third beer, a continental pilsner (supposed to be golden) and it too has turned out brown like the others (its still fermenting currently). All three of these beers were done using brewersbest kits.

id also like to mention that the first two have been bottled already for a couple months (drank most of them already though)

any idea why these may not be coming to the right color?

I'm not as experienced as many of the others on this forum, but I'd guess that it's too early to judge the color / clarity of the beer. I'm guessing that after it's bottle conditioned it's going to lighten up considerably. I wouldn't worry about.

I am assuming you are extract brewing. Are you adding all the extract at thr start of the boil? This will make it darker

I am assuming you are extract brewing. Are you adding all the extract at thr start of the boil? This will make it darker

This is interesting. I did a Belgian Tripel that was darker than I expected, too, from a Brewer's Best kit. I added the extract after I did the steeping, so that leads me to believe, by your saying, that it would make it darker.

In the future, do we want to add the LME.... when?

Back