Finally got my fermentation temps worked out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reinheitsgebot

Reaction score
As the summer heat is nearer in Houston, my fermentation temps have me concerned. A fridge is the long term plan (I am thinking side-by-side, one side to ferment in and the other to dispense kegs) so in the short term I went out to the local Wally-World and got some $9 tubs. Both my 5G carboy and my Ale Pail have water up to their neck and even without ice, the temperatures are at a consistent 72 degrees. I am very excited, as before the temps would swing from 72 to 79 throughout the day.

As the summer heat is nearer in Houston, my fermentation temps have me concerned. A fridge is the long term plan (I am thinking side-by-side, one side to ferment in and the other to dispense kegs) so in the short term I went out to the local Wally-World and got some $9 tubs. Both my 5G carboy and my Ale Pail have water up to their neck and even without ice, the temperatures are at a consistent 72 degrees. I am very excited, as before the temps would swing from 72 to 79 throughout the day.

Depending on the variety of the beers you ferment, a side by side may not be the best option for what you want. Most, if not all, consumer grade side by sides use a single compressor and fan assisted venting to balance the temps between the sides. Add to that the automatic defrost cyling of the freezer side and you may find that it is less than ideal and still fluctuates.

You can use a side-by-side with temp controller. just don't plan on using the other side. I use mine in the fridge side (where I have the sensor). I keep plastic soda bottles filled with water in the freezer side (for my ice bath immersion chiller). Some times they are frozen solid. Sometimes they thaw a little.

Back