Ok--how about a Pea wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brann_mac_Finnchad

Reaction score
I've been itching to make a pea wine (not with pods, but with the sweet, yummy round things :D )--and will probably do so regardless as a curiosity, but I have a couple theoretical questions on how I might start.

The main one is; how many pounds of veggies per gallon should I be looking at?

I might have more later, but I think I can figure out the rest...

And yes, I can see some of you making faces at the idea

Slainte :mug:

Interesting. I'd start with 3 lbs per gallon and work fom there.

I would think your going to need to play with acid levels and tannins here. I'm interested to know how it turns out.

OK, what did you do with creamygoodness?

he is the only one licensed to ferment gross vegetable matter.

In my experience with the weird and strange ferments things like green vegitables are best fermented as a secondary flavor to a normal one. Like Cucumber may taste fine in a lemon wine but pure cucumber puree fermented with a little lemon is awful. Another example is that carrot wine tastes a little weired but Carrot Cider is great.

I have no experience with peas in fermenting but it may be good to do a citrous wine of some sort with 3lb of peas thrown in the secondary.

Interesting. I'd start with 3 lbs per gallon and work fom there.

I would think your going to need to play with acid levels and tannins here. I'm interested to know how it turns out.
I was thinking at 3 lbs as well--it's a good baseline. I didn’t think about acid levels, and I habitually add some variety of tea to my recipes to add a slight amount of tannin.

martiniw2olives and bottlebomber: I happen to love peas, as you might guess :D

OK, what did you do with creamygoodness?

he is the only one licensed to ferment gross vegetable matter.
Wait—I need a license to do this? Blast…
I think I have a recipe, I will look for it if you are interested
Sure—I’ll take a look at it. Certainly can’t hurt.

In my experience with the weird and strange ferments things like green vegitables are best fermented as a secondary flavor to a normal one. Like Cucumber may taste fine in a lemon wine but pure cucumber puree fermented with a little lemon is awful. Another example is that carrot wine tastes a little weired but Carrot Cider is great.

I have no experience with peas in fermenting but it may be good to do a citrous wine of some sort with 3lb of peas thrown in the secondary.
Hmm—ok. Carrot Cider? I’m intrigued. Probably not with citrus—I would like the main flavour to be the peas. I could add other flavours as well, though—mint would be good, maybe backsweeten with lactic sugar.

I would urge you to use the olde english "pease" rather than "pea". After drinking several cups of coffee I make my own pea wine daily.

you would think that, in the entire history of civilization, if peas made good wine you would be able to run down to your local liquor store and pick up a bottle of pea wine.

you would think that, in the entire history of civilization, if peas made good wine you would be able to run down to your local liquor store and pick up a bottle of pea wine.

Yes...and the same can be said for parsnip and dandelion.

I dont know what the sugar content of fresh pease is, but perhaps you'd be better off making a pea mead than a pea wine? I dont know if there would be enough fermentables, and adding table or corn sugar doesnt seem like a great idea either...

I recommend using honey too, it'll balance the flavor/acidity better without the need to add a bunch of stuff. Also get the freshest sweet peas you can, pod and all, frozen/thawed a couple of times first to liberate the flavor from the plant cells. And good luck. I'd say a sweet-range mead with pea in it can't be all that bad, and if it is just age it a few years and see what's good.

My mind went to the Exorcist as well--probably not the best way to foist it on unsuspecting drinkers, though.

My first thought was to make it as a mead--I probably won't, mainly because if it doesn't work out, I don't want to waste the honey.

Forgot about yours Halbrust--let me know what it tastes like, with photos...

Back