Help! Brewing, need preboil SG adjustment for post-boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tre9er

Reaction score
I came in at 1.030 preboil in 7g of water. I need to know what this works out to post-boil (60m. boil).

Have first-wort that wouldn't fit in BK and need to know if I need to add it (it's much richer than the second runnings.)

nevermind. finally found formula. 1.030 at 7g would be 1.037 at finished volume of 5.69.

V1*C1 = V2*C2

so (V1*C1)/V2=C2

I put a glass of sample in the freezer until it was sub 80, then tested again nearer to room temp. I'm still coming out low. Boiling more off now.

I have a semi-related concern. I've got a weizenbock on the boil now. My sample just cooled to around 74* and my pre-boil reading was 1.032? Beersmith tells me it should be 1.061! I collected 8 gallons from mash for a 90 minute boil. I collected two sets of runninigs and mixed them. Could the two runnings not have been mixed well enough when I took my sample?

I have a semi-related concern. I've got a weizenbock on the boil now. My sample just cooled to around 74* and my pre-boil reading was 1.032? Beersmith tells me it should be 1.061! I collected 8 gallons from mash for a 90 minute boil. I collected two sets of runninigs and mixed them. Could the two runnings not have been mixed well enough when I took my sample?

I always stir the crap out of my wort before drawing a sample. Did you plug in the formula above to see what that 32 would come out with your post-boil volume?

I usually collect all runnings into my brew kettle and have never had a pre-boil gravity THAT off. I think I'll wait until I get my post-boil gravity reading before I go into full panic mode.

That formula site is handy though! Thanks enkamania!

mine was a result of less grain absorption than anticipated. I am doing a BIAB mash and dunk sparge, so I got half the grain absorption. Adjusting this as well as looking for another kettle so I can finish the mash tun into a sparge vessel.

So my post-boil ended up at 1.043!? I don't understand what happened! I used beersmith. I'll have to check everything again. The calculator indicated that I need like 4.25 pounds of DME to reach my prescribed OG. I don't have that much DME on hand. Is my batch ok until I get the DME? I didn't pitch my starter yet. And how much water do I use?

This has been my worst brew day EVER (numbers wise).

Help please!!!

So my post-boil ended up at 1.043!? I don't understand what happened! I used beersmith. I'll have to check everything again. The calculator indicated that I need like 4.25 pounds of DME to reach my prescribed OG. I don't have that much DME on hand. Is my batch ok until I get the DME? I didn't pitch my starter yet. And how much water do I use?

This has been my worst brew day EVER (numbers wise).

Help please!!!

you could probably run get some DME quick and heat it in a separate pot with a small bit of water (<1g) and then cool it and throw it in the FV before you pitch...but you probably should hurry

yeah, I had a less than ideal gravity too. Still figuring out my water usage for my system. No biggie...it'll make beer and guarantee it's better than most they sell in the store!

Back