Sankey keg lock rings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasty_rabbit

Reaction score
I did a search but cant seem to find what I am looking for. I have dis-assembled a few sankeys so I know the process for that but am questioning the need for the lock ring in re-assembly. After the spear is tightened, I can't understand the need for the lock ring in a homebrew application. Besides, it's a PITA to get it back in. Is there anything that I am missing?

I've had better luck ditching the spiral ring and using a snap ring instead.i don't recall the size off hand (it appears to be McMaster Carr pn 91580A246 after a quick google search) but as long as you are careful to orient the ears so it doesn't interfere with installing the coupler too much it works great

Besides, it's a PITA to get it back in. Is there anything that I am missing?

Squeeze it into place with pliers, super easy and takes all of 10 seconds. And when you install it, orient it so that the top end lines up just past one of the notches in the neck. That will make removing it easier next time.

The locking ring pushes the spear down onto the o ring and seals the keg, without it it will leak.

This.

I've had better luck ditching the spiral ring and using a snap ring instead.i don't recall the size off hand (it appears to be McMaster Carr pn 91580A246 after a quick google search) but as long as you are careful to orient the ears so it doesn't interfere with installing the coupler too much it works great

I did that too, but after a while I went back to the spiral rings. They don't put as much downward pressure on the spear, and I started having some issues with them not sealing completely. Once I got the hang of the spiral rings, they became just as fast and easy to use as the snap rings, if not more so.

Back