Choco-Cherry Mead, Take 2.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
A while back I posted this thread about a very sluggish Chocolate Cherry mead I was attempting. It figured that it has been a year since I started that mead, why not start another gallon?

Found the same cherries I used last time. In my newbie haste I didn't understand the significance of words Sodium Benzoate & Potassium Sorbate in the ingredients. I think I now know why it has been such a battle to make that batch ferment.

Not wanting another drawn out fight for fermentation, I browsed the organics section until I found cherries that lacked preservatives. I mixed up a gallon and got a big healthy starter going. I pitched the yeast before leaving for work. When I came back and opened the lid to give it a stir, I wasn't sure if I was making mead, or if I had just shoved a gremlin into a fountain.

biomass_mead-550x412.jpg

Ended up being the fastest mead ferment I've experienced. Started at 1.116, and a week later was already down in the 1.000-1.010 range.

Moral of the story. Check for preservatives!

Sir,

That doesn't look right in any way shape or form.
I worked in a butcher shop when I was 16-ish there were many an afternoon where I was cleaning out under the grinder and the meat saw and ended up with a bucket like that.

How does it taste ?

A Cherry Cordial mead holds an odd appeal to me

My son had brain surgery this summer. When he went for post-op the doctor gave us this exact photo :)

When you serve it to people, after they're about halfway through their second glass you need to show them that picture and tell them that's what they're drinking. :D

Back