Chiller explosion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atxstanley

Reaction score
My immersion chiller has issues. It's a 30 foot copper chiller that I bought from AHS. When I hook it up to the sink and turn on the sink the hose blows off of the chiller and water goes everywhere. I took it back there and they swaped out the screw clamp fitting for a new one that went on tighter, but alas the new one blew off yet again. Is there a good fix for this? I can sweat copper fittings together but only want to do that as a last resort if nothing else works.

And to note, my sink does not have a very high pressure, the hose when it is clamped on is always relatively loose and can twist and slide around a little bit.

You may be running the water through the chiller at a rate higher than you need (how cold's the water coming out the other end), but for a couple bucks in parts, solder some fittings on there so you can ditch the hose clamps.

Also might check for a clog? Can you blow though the Chiller?

You can also try and put some plumber's tape (electrical tape works as well) around the copper tube, then slide the hose over the copper/tape end and crimp down on the clamps.

Whiskey® said:
Also might check for a clog? Can you blow though the Chiller?

That's what I'd bet a cold home brew on. Plugged chiller. You should be able to blow easily through it. If it is plugged, take it back and get another one or ask the folks at AHS to test it right there. They should be able to hook it right on the spot as they brew beers for beer school there.

Back