Brewing more than 5 gallons...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antoniost

Reaction score
in a 5 gallon plastic fermenter. Say can I brew 6 gallons safely in a 5 gallon fermenter, or not enough head room?

I wouldn't try it with something that's likely to have a wildly active primary fermentation (like a hefeweizen) but yes, you can do it...make sure you rig a blowoff tube. Worse that happens is that you get a lot of blowoff.

Sure, but almost all recipe kits are designed for a 5 gallon volume. If you simply add water to increase its volume you're thinning down the concentration of the sugars in the wort.

Are you crafting your own recipies?

Thanks to all those who responded. Yes, I'm craftin my own recipe. The predicted OG is 1.077 my guess is that will ferment slowly because of the high gravity.

How would I rig a blow off hose to the lid of the plastic fermenter, the hole is tiny and any hose that would fit in it would have an even tinier diameter?

DC920KA_1.gif

:rockin:

If you're using one of these:
View attachment 2001

Take the lid and the bubbler "hat" off, and attach a 3/16" ID or 1/4" ID hose to the center tube.

Alternately, you can fit a 3/16" ID hose inside the hole in most drilled stoppers...if you have a stopper that fit the hole in your fermenter lid, that would work too. As long as you don;t have whole hops in your fermenter, even the small diameter hoses won't clog.

Bike N Brew said:
Take the lid and the bubbler "hat" off, and attach a 3/16" ID or 1/4" ID hose to the center tube.

Thanks, I like your method and it doesn't involve power tools. :D

Latest posts

Back