DIY apple press?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey all, I've got like ~300 in my backyard on my trees, and would love to make em into cider, how should I press them?
LHBS has wine presses, but apparently, you need to puree the apple in a blender before I could use the wine grape press
thoughts?

well if i had to Purée 300lbs of apples i would use the same method i use on fresh corn malt, before i mash it to make a homebrew not spoken of here......
....I use an old kitchen sink with a nice clean garbage disposal in it that dumps in to a 55 gal HD drum, the same method would make short work of the apples and get them prepped for pressing

well if i had to Purée 300lbs of apples i would use the same method i use on fresh corn malt, before i mash it to make a homebrew not spoken of here......
....I use an old kitchen sink with a nice clean garbage disposal in it that dumps in to a 55 gal HD drum, the same method would make short work of the apples and get them prepped for pressing

Yah I think theres a thread somewhere on the garbage disposal grinder if you search

You might find this info i posted on an old thread helpful.

041-117-01.jpg

How to Build a Cider Press

You can also make one out of an old Maytag washer evidently. (this article is awesome, especially if you are going to consistantly be doing large batches...)

THE MAYTAG CIDER PRESS

Here's another design....ReadyMade: CIDER PRESS

I can't show you, you have to be a Craft Subscriber to view the online edition, but they recommend a 30 dollar home depot garbage disposal mounted on a frame and emptying into a bucket to shred the apples prior to juicing and pressing, for those of you who don't have a free juicer...
like this...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGSHZwwME-c]YouTube - Garbage Disposal Apple Grinder (Crusher)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csaoeNtAptI&NR=1]YouTube - Seneca Falls Apple Grinders batch 5[/ame]

Back