Air Lock Inquiry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodtimes

Reaction score
Just brewed my first batch last Sunday & realized today (one week later) that I failed to fill the air lock half way with water ... Its a Northern Brown Ale which has been fermenting at 64-66 degrees F all week ... Just added water to the air lock earlier this morning.

What can I expect ... Has anyone done this B4 ... Now that I've filled it with water, should I allow more time to ferment - if so, any idea how many more days ???

Thnx,
Goodtimes

From my little understanding, you are fine. You just missed out on seeing the bubbles; nothing more. Now, if you are like me, that is probably one of my favorite things about brewing beer. However, other than aesthetic reasons, bubbling in the airlock is virtually worthless.

But, I am a noob. Other vets may have better info for you.

Welcome to HBT!

Lots of folks have forgotten to add water to the airlock but your beer will be fine. It's very hard to mess up beer!

I like to leave my beers in the primary longer than most. Since this is your first batch, it will be harder for you because of new brewer impatience. :D Let your beer sit for at least 10 days to a week then take a hydrometer reading. Are you planning on moving it to secondary? If so, after it has reached its final gravity, it's ready to transfer. If you are using primary only, leave it three weeks and bottle that baby up.

Top it off to the fill mark and wait for another week if not two. Then check your gravity if you have a hydrometer & test vile.

If you don't have one you should wait patiently to let it finish. I'd buy one asap. Its best to use one to verify fermentation is complete.

Latest posts

Back