Any Compelling Reasons to Give up on Homebrew Formulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMesick

Reaction score
I've been using Homebrew Formulator (for Mac) as my brewing software for a couple years. I know it isn't supported any more, and it may not be worth the effort for anyone to search for it and adopt it now.

But as an existing user of it, I am wondering if there is something to be gained by leaving it behind and adopting different brewing software. Those who has used Homebrew Formulator and left for something else--what did you gain?

The mere fact that you question this is compelling reason enough, methinks.

Got me. I'm open--and perhaps even hoping to be convinced. But I'd like to hear from someone with firsthand knowledge of this thing and whatever they use now on their Mac.

Got me. I'm open--and perhaps even hoping to be convinced. But I'd like to hear from someone with firsthand knowledge of this thing and whatever they use now on their Mac.

I use Homebrew Formulator and have been for the last 4 years that i've been all-grain hombrewing. I like it a lot. It's simple, accurate, and FREE. It has all the features I'd ever need. I tried a demo of BeerTools and did not like it at all. I did not like the format.

My only complaint with HBF is the descriptions/names of certain grains. There (from what i've seen on other programs) seems to be a slight (and i do mean slight) limitation on the type of grains the program offers. Other that that, i love it and would not switch.

I use Homebrew Formulator and have been for the last 4 years that i've been all-grain hombrewing. I like it a lot. It's simple, accurate, and FREE. It has all the features I'd ever need. I tried a demo of BeerTools and did not like it at all. I did not like the format.

My only complaint with HBF is the descriptions/names of certain grains. There (from what i've seen on other programs) seems to be a slight (and i do mean slight) limitation on the type of grains the program offers. Other that that, i love it and would not switch.

kozydogg--
So, for your money, the recipe/calculations/projections are pretty accurate, eh? Then there probably isn't anything better--or at least not worth the cost.

When I started using HBF, I thought "wow! These guys deserve some of my money. I can't believe this is free!"

But I get the itch for something new from time to time. And this is my attempt to check myself against reality. I also like HBF. I just wondered if I was missing something. I don't mean for this to be some kind of veiled commercial for HBF--I am genuinely willing to be convinced. But here you are, reminding me of why I still use it and like it. Thanks.

Back