Newbie Question Priming sugar vs. forced carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started my German Style Light beer on July 15th and it has sitting in the primary since then because I went to Florida. A friend who stayed at the house to watch my pets kept an eye on it. Didn't open it just kept an eye on the temps. I will be back on Sunday (29th) and thought I would have another 2 weeks till my husband comes back but he will get back early (4th) YEAH!! Anyway my question is since I bought a Tap A Draft system will it be faster to force carb the bottle or prime it. Since its suppose to be a surprise for his homecoming I would like him to enjoy it as soon as possible. Thank you

Well, hard to say, German Style Lite... um, is this a Lager, an Ale? What temp has it been sitting at? Personally I let all my primaries sit for 3 weeks, then I either bottle or now (yeah!) force carb them and wait another two to three weeks to even think about drinking them... sure I'll taste them along the way but it is really worth waiting for...
That said, I would surprise him that you made beer, explain that it will take a long time but it will be worth it. Then divert him for as long as it takes for the beer to mature :)

Force carbing by just setting it to serving pressure, and letting it sit has always taken me about a week. Priming sugar I usually sit for two weeks (or more) to let the yeast do what it needs to do. That said, I'm not too familiar with the Tap-A-Draft system but I imagine the times will be similar.

I started my German Style Light beer on July 15th and it has sitting in the primary since then because I went to Florida. A friend who stayed at the house to watch my pets kept an eye on it. Didn't open it just kept an eye on the temps. I will be back on Sunday (29th) and thought I would have another 2 weeks till my husband comes back but he will get back early (4th) YEAH!! Anyway my question is since I bought a Tap A Draft system will it be faster to force carb the bottle or prime it. Since its suppose to be a surprise for his homecoming I would like him to enjoy it as soon as possible. Thank you

From what I understand...Tap a Draft, is a way to dispense beer similiar to a keg...however its carbonated just like bottling (with priming sugar)...so to answer your question...bottling or Tap a Draft, will take the exact same time because they are depending on yeast to consume the priming sugar, which depending on the beer could take from 2 to 3 weeks...if you had a normal kegging system with a constant flow of co2 then you could carbonate in a week.

Back