Anyone have experience using bananas??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irisndfan2

Reaction score
So my latest brew a black IPA didn't turn out very good at all..... Didn't even turn out black lol

So I decided I am going to brew again this weekend. My keggorator is starving for a good beer.

I am going to make my hefewiezen, however I was thinking about secondarying on top of like 10 mashed up bananas.

Would this even be worth it? Do bananas give lots of flavor? How much should I use??

Thanks.

Bananas are notoriously difficult to preserve without unpleasant textural, colour, and flavour changes occurring. In weizens, it is the yeast that provides the banana and clove notes. If you feel you must try it (and, hey, ain't that what homebrewing is for?), I'd suggest going with dried banana chips if you can find some without salt and preservatives. Flash-pasteurize them in a tiny bit of boiled water to 170*F for a minute or two or soak them in a bit of high-proof alcohol overnight (I'd probably go that route...the right selection could boost the spicy-clove notes too!).

When I add banana to beer I just mash it up and let it sit on the counter overnight to convert and then just add it to the boil. You get a ton of banana aroma that way that you can't get with yeast.

Back