Multiple plastics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCuckerson

Reaction score
I have read the discussions on plastic carboys and purchased a PET for clarifying. I was drinking some gatorade the other day and I noticed the 1 gallon bottle is quite nice: heavy gage, PET and handle. Could you use 5 of theses as a secondary? Would there be any adverse effects by splitting the batch 1/5 before secondary conditioning?

You could, I do this with apple cider, except the jugs I use are glass (the cider i use comes in glass jugs) I have not noticed any adverse effects from splitting the batches; however, I have no knowledge on the advisability of reusing gatorade bottles.

The only drawback I can see is that you'll then have to siphon out of 5 different bottles, back into a bottling bucket. This increases your opportunity for oxidization/infection.

But ... No, not a bad idea. MANY people use this kind of idea for Apfelwein, Mead, etc.

Back