First time brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. I am a first time brewer. I have followed the directions and now my Wort (i think thats what it is) is in the bucket with the stopper and airlock. My question is. with my kit came a large glass carboy. I know this is for second fermentation but i'm confused as to if i'm supposed to use the airlock. Isn't it supposed to be cabonating? If theres a way for the gas to excape wont it be flat. I still have a few days before its time for the next stage. Help me out here please.

Could that carboy just be for wine and i am not to use it in beer making? just a thought i had after typing that all

Nope it's for your beer and is used for secondary fermentation. You'll be racking (transferring) it to this in about 5 days average. There I keep it for 2 weeks average. Carbonation is the last process to occur when you bottle it. I'd recommend doing a little reading so your 1st ever batch comes out as you'd hope, drinkable & tasty. Review http://www.howtobrew.com/ and the first section gives you the basics of the whole process. You can get through it in less than 1/2 hour and be much more educated.

Remember, keep it clean and sanitized!

desertBrew said:
Nope it's for your beer and is used for secondary fermentation. You'll be racking (transferring) it to this in about 5 days average. There I keep it for 2 weeks average. Carbonation is the last process to occur when you bottle it. I'd recommend doing a little reading so your 1st ever batch comes out as you'd hope, drinkable & tasty. Review http://www.howtobrew.com/ and the first section gives you the basics of the whole process. You can get through it in less than 1/2 hour and be much more educated.

Remember, keep it clean and sanitized!

Yeah, what he said.... :D

And don't ever try to condition in a carboy... ;)

Sanitize everything...sigh...why do the kits' instructions always suck so very much?

What those guys said...:D

Back