Candy Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Brewed my 7th batch yesterday (a Belgium Ale kit my wife bought me for christmas) and I forgot to add the candy sugar during the boil. I usually don't follow directions on these kits as they are getting boring and I am ready to move on to all-grain, so I was a little lackadaisical in brewing yesterday. Anyhow, I can just add it all at bottling along with my corn sugar right? I don't see why I cannot, but some advice would help. Thanks guys....

Recipe:
3.3 light LME
1 xtra light DME
1 light DME
1 wheat DME
3 oz of various hops at regular stages
6 oz 2 row pale (I don't know why this was in the kit for steeping)
7 oz special roast (I added this myself from my grain stash)

No, it needs to ferment out and if you add it along with the priming sugar you would over carbonate the beer.

Make a simple syrup and add it directly to the primary

The sugar doesn't show up on your recipe, so I'm guessing it was to be in the boil, however much it was.

You can add the sugar now. Bottling time would be a bad idea, unless you like fireworks. Add the sugar to a minimal amount of water, bring to boil, cool and pitch.

No worries!

Adding sugar late in the primary fermentation is actually a good technique with the higher ABV beers like Belgian trippels. I would have recommended not boiling the sugar on the first place. So you did the right thing!

Back