A hop too far

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaced

Reaction score
Ok, I've got a crap load of hops in my freezer and I feel like going a little crazy. So I'm planning a double ipa. Let me know your thoughts

Now updated with recipe

8oz Maltodextrine @ 60 minutes
1.4Kg Sorghum Syrup @ 60 minutes
0.75oz Columbus Hops @ 60 minutes
0.75oz Centennial Hops @ 60 minutes
0.5oz Cascade Hops @ 30 minutes
0.5oz Columbus Hops @ 30 minutes
0.5oz Centennial Hops @ 30 minutes
0.5oz Cascade Hops @ 15 minutes
0.5oz Centennial Hops @ 15 minutes
0.5oz Cascade Hops @ 5 minutes
0.5oz Centennial Hops @ 5 minutes
0.5oz Chinook @ 5 minutes
1 x whirlfloc tablet @ 15 minutes
1.4Kg Sorghum Syrup @ 0 minutes
500ml Amber Candy Syrup @ 0 minutes
1 tsp Calcium Carbonate @ 0 minutes
1 tsp Yeast nutrient @ 0 minutes
*** Cold Crash ***
2 x US-05 American Ale Yeast
1oz Cascade Hops @ 7 days
1oz Centennial Hops @ 7 days
1oz Chinook @ 7 days
1oz Citra @ 7 days

LOL, why not just have some grapefruit juice? :cross:

Nah, looks good! You know these hops well and I'd say trust your gut. It's gonna be very citrusy, but that can be a good thing with the sorghum.

Bump. Now with recipe. I'll put this together this Monday as I've got an RDO

I've used every one of these hops in a single hop ipa before, so I'm interested how they all come together. That and I'm hop crazy.

You might be able to skip the bittering additions of hops in favor of more late additions (maybe at 20 and 10 minutes). It all depends on the bitter to flavor/aroma you're going for.

Oh hey, it's you. Thanks for the blog and recipes -- I've just bottled my first gluten free beer, funnily enough also an all-Chinook IPA based on the all-Centennial IPA recipe on your blog.

Anyway, I agree with igliashon, the hops will likely work well with the sorghum. I was initially worried about the Chinook IPA being too bitter, but the taste I took while bottling suggested it was just right, and with a mild citrus note that worked well with the sorghum's slight sharpness. It was certainly better than Bard's.

But ... that does seem like a lot of hops ... maybe more like a triple IPA than a double? See how it turns out, anyway...

Oh, and I was wondering how much of an effect the candy syrup had. And did you just use regular store-bought golden syrup for that?

Oh hey, it's you. Thanks for the blog and recipes -- I've just bottled my first gluten free beer, funnily enough also an all-Chinook IPA based on the all-Centennial IPA recipe on your blog.

Anyway, I agree with igliashon, the hops will likely work well with the sorghum. I was initially worried about the Chinook IPA being too bitter, but the taste I took while bottling suggested it was just right, and with a mild citrus note that worked well with the sorghum's slight sharpness. It was certainly better than Bard's.

But ... that does seem like a lot of hops ... maybe more like a triple IPA than a double? See how it turns out, anyway...

Oh, and I was wondering how much of an effect the candy syrup had. And did you just use regular store-bought golden syrup for that?

I've just done a 30 minute all chinook IPA. I was concerned about it being too harsh (like my experiences with Citra and Galaxy), but glad it worked out well for you. The Centennial beer hopped every 15 was based on the "Two hearted ale" clone. That hopping rate (every 15) is great, have used it for Cascade as well.

Yeah my theory is that even if the beer is terrible, I'm sure it will be drinkable :) And in the past experimentation has gone both ways for me.

The candy syrup I think is imported from Belgium. It has a few qualities that will help the recipe,
* Increase the fermentables
* It should be easy for the yeast to convert it to alcohol (inverted sugar and it has yeast nutrient in it)
* Should add some much needed colour
* Should add a depth of flavour.

I haven't used golden syrup in a brew yet, but I have seen other people use it. http://www.britishbrewer.com/2010/02/recipe-theakston-old-peculier-version-1/

This website has been great resource for getting me up to speed with brewing and I like to share what I've learnt where possible.

I've been slack with the blog of late, but I'm hoping to update it with some new recipes very shortly:
* Orange Peel Pale Ale
* 30 minute Chinook IPA
* Easy st Clone
* And this beer

I've also found this a great source of ideas, http://***********/store?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=94&category_id=16 It shows hopping rates for beers

Brewed this up today. Starting gravity is 1062

Had a quick taste of the sample, hot damn it's hoppy. Can't wait till its done.

It looks like it's been about a month since you're brew day. Any updates?

It's been in the primary since brew day. Dry hopped at seven days with half ounces of cascade centennial and citra. With 3/4 of an ounce of chinook. Tastes great from the fermenter. This should be my first kegged beer if it all gets sorted.

Bump

Keg Fridge didn't get sorted in time so I put this into bottles last weekend. Will try a bottle in two to three weeks.

God damn, god damn. Cracked the first beer, and it is amazing. Still early but it is piney, bitter, it comes together really well. Just pissed I only made 20 :(

Warning!! This is hoppy as hell, not for the faint of heart.

spaced said:
God damn, god damn. Cracked the first beer, and it is amazing. Still early but it is piney, bitter, it comes together really well. Just pissed I only made 20 :(

Warning!! This is hoppy as hell, not for the faint of heart.

I was wondering how all that bitterness was going to turn out. Now it must be time for batch no. 2.

Cheers!

I was wondering how all that bitterness was going to turn out. Now it must be time for batch no. 2.

Cheers!

My wife, who drinks a fair amount of craft beers said

It's not the most bitter or the hoppiest she has tried. But agreed it was a very nice beer.

Back