tastes like Rodenbach Grand cru...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acuenca

Reaction score
So... I brewed a Midwest Extract Hex Nut brown Ale and fermented in primary for 3.5 weeks because I had to leave for two weeks.

OG 1.044 FG 1.010... pretty much spot on per the kit. After reading through the forum, I worked hard to keep my ferm temps in a swamp cooler between 68-70 in the Florida heat for the 3.5 weeks. I took one hydrometer reading at 2.5 a half weeks and it was golden at 1.010 but kept in primary until 3.5 weeks and subsequently bottled. I know that I probably could have left it in primary for the 6 weeks etc but it was at the FG it said on the instructions for at least a week but anyway I digress...

During the 2 weeks while I was away I had the pleasure of drinking some Rodenbach Grand Cru... Great sour ale...Unfortunately, when I returned I was excited to try the brew, noobish I know, but I wanted to see where it was at and sadly the bottle tasted pretty sour similar to the sour of the Grand cru. The carbonation was weak to none...

So My question is... Though it might be the green apple of poorly conditioned beer, I'm concerned that it might be (probably is) an infection. How long would you age this out before you'd toss the batch? SHould I toss it now?

Also, I don't know if this makes a whole lot of difference but I used my spray bottle with star san(made with Tap water) from the brew day (about 2.5 weeks old) when I took the hydro sample. I didn't check the pH but from what I read on here I thought that it would be okay. I'm worried that this is where I "inoculated" the beer though there were NO signs one week after I took this reading that I had an infection.

Any help would be appreciated! THanks!

I should also say that this was NOT intentional... though the title might not make that apparent...

Bring some to Hoggetowne next weekend, we'll help you figure it out.

Latest posts

Back