I think I may sell my HERMS... Indy area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
I am thinking about selling my HERMS. Obviously this would have to be a local sale/local pick-up. Id place it in the classifieds, but this isnt really a classified as I have not settled on it or the poss. price yet.

EDIT: This HERMS requires a 240VAC, 30A, GFCI circuit, it is NOT GAS

Trying to see if there is interest in the rig, or if I should part it out...

BrewBeastcooling.JPG

Very interested and live in Indianapolis. Will have to create a how-to list but I am interested. Thanks..

Building a new rig Pol? Surely you're not quitting :)

I am not going to say what I am doing, until it is done. :mug:

I am sure that I could part this thing out pretty easily, but I may end up with some large parts that I do not want, if it is not sold as a system.

I can bring it up to the Columbus, IN group to see if anyone interested.

Thanks, I really think that the least I could ask for the whole system is $1500, I have about $1000 more than that invested, not including my time.

I would very likely throw in a few 5 gallon cornies too.

If you part it out let me know. I'd possibly be interested in the HLT and or BK and or Control panel :)
I live close enough I could take the whole thing, but money wise I couldn't right now. maybe be able to squeeze one of the above mentioned single items.
Seeing as how I'm looking to replicate your system, I wish I have 1500 to paypal you right now :)

I know, it is a lot of dough... but I have invested in it pretty heavily for a few years.

Parting it out is an option, but probably my last option, and if it came to that, some of the components I would probably keep to utilize in a new project.

The control panel, complete, would be a heck of a buy... it would be nice to have one already built that you can simply plug and play!

I would be very interested in picking up a few things if you were going to part it out. I wish I had the cash to buy it outright. It is a great system.

Joshua

I would be very interested in picking up a few things if you were going to part it out. I wish I had the cash to buy it outright. It is a great system.

Joshua

I was wondering if you would see this Joshua...

Yah, the only issue I see is that perhaps some of the parts that people would want, are the same ones that I would want to keep.

I have no doubt that what you would want to keep is exactly what I would want to buy. I am probably not the best candidate for selling to, though I would be happy to take some of it off your hands.

I shot you an email.

How has the weather been treating you this week?

Joshua

I have no doubt that what you would want to keep is exactly what I would want to buy. I am probably not the best candidate for selling to, though I would be happy to take some of it off your hands.

I shot you an email.

How has the weather been treating you this week?

Joshua

Umm, NYC to DCA all week was okay, no delays (just the typical ones). One night there was some freezing rain/snow falling when we got into DCA, but no issues. I wanted to strangle my FO though, but that was not weather related :)

I was wondering if you would see this Joshua...

Yah, the only issue I see is that perhaps some of the parts that people would want, are the same ones that I would want to keep.
Just post a list of what you'd be willing to part out with prices and see if people are interested. Just put a note that this is not certain so nobody is claiming anything at this point.

I thought you said you never wanted to brew more than 5 gal batches :D

Looks like he's interested in 3G batches.

Building stuff in secret is against the unwritten HBT code. It seems like a growing trend selling off the alpha sculptures to finance beta. Nothing wrong with it, just an observation.

Building stuff in secret is against the unwritten HBT code. It seems like a growing trend trying to sell off the alpha sculptures to finance beta. Nothing wrong with it, just an observation.

I don't think anyone will buy mine. Good luck Pol! He has also listed a selling price less than the cost of the parts. I can't believe this isn't gone already.

If I were selling my alpha off, I'd take a loss to get the project going. I see the labor put into it as paying for knowledge. I never stick welded before in my life. It was 10 hours of hard work to learn how and someone else will benefit from from the physical outcome when I sell but they'll never get my knowledge of how to weld. Afterall, these are used prototypes. They ain't pretty.

Sorry for the threadjack.

I don't think anyone will buy mine. Good luck Pol! He has also listed a selling price less than the cost of the parts. I can't believe this isn't gone already.

Unfortunately most people have just dropped lots of cash on christmas shopping. Not the ideal time to post. Now in two weeks when everyone gets their christmas money and bonuses then I'm sure it'll sell. Like I said, If I had cash, I'd come pick it up Saturday instead of brewing and then sell my equipment.

Hell with it, Here goes the Hail Marry email to the wife. If I'm not here by Monday morning, someone call the police.

Just sent the following email to my "bank lender".

Subject: Shot in the Dark, don't cut my head off
Body:
OK, I know the answer, but don’t want to miss the opportunity incase you are in a ridiculous mood today :)

The guy on the forum who system I plan on slowly copying is selling said system as a whole. It cost him just over $2500 to build plus a couple hundred work hours. He is in Indiana so it’s close enough to drive to.
He is selling for $1500. I would then sell the Burner, Keggle and cooler I’ve been using for a few hundred dollars.

So, did I catch you on a crazy good day?? :)

/end email

The work hours may be exaggerated but but with a 16mo, it could play a very big role in her decision :)

Body:
OK, I know the answer, but don’t want to miss the opportunity incase you are in a ridiculous mood today :)

The guy on the forum who system I plan on slowly copying is selling said system as a whole. It cost him just over $2500 to build plus a couple hundred work hours. He is in Indiana so it’s close enough to drive to.
He is selling for $1500. I would then sell the Burner, Keggle and cooler I’ve been using for a few hundred dollars.

/end email

The work hours may be exaggerated but but with a 16mo, it could play a very big role in her decision :)

I like it! I hope she goes for it for your sake but don't be surprised if she asks for something shiny and expensive in return. :D

$1,500 is about $1,000 less than I have into components alone. I dont expect anyone to pay for my "thinking" time and my "labor". If it were to be judged on those merits, Id be looking for about $4,000. I also don't expect anyone to honestly pay 100% of the component cost.

We will see.

Body:

/end email

I like the email, the hours are probably very accurate when you include R&D time

Unfortunately my wife is responsible with money and thinks I make great beer already. On the plus side, the idea of dropping $1500 has her talking about me buying a new truck :)...to pull the new camper she want's next year.

If I were selling my alpha off, I'd take a loss to get the project going. I see the labor put into it as paying for knowledge. I never stick welded before in my life. It was 10 hours of hard work to learn how and someone else will benefit from from the physical outcome when I sell but they'll never get my knowledge of how to weld. Afterall, these are used prototypes. They ain't pretty.

Sorry for the threadjack.

I wouldnt say that!

I say let's give Pol his secret. He has earned that given so many he has helped with their projects. It's his call.

Thanks.

I just prefer to design and build alone, not so much of a community project. When it (whatever it is) is complete, it will certainly be posted here. Just not during the design and build.

So far no real solid interest at $1500... if I part out:

It would probably be like the HLT, MLT, BK... larger modules

wow - I can't believe no one will move on $1500. If only I hadn't already built a clone of yours...

I can attest to the mucho awesomeness of The Pol's rig - I saw it in action myself.

wow - I can't believe no one will move on $1500. If only I hadn't already built a clone of yours...

I can attest to the mucho awesomeness of The Pol's rig - I saw it in action myself.

Thanks Brrman...

I can build the beta rig without selling the alpha rig, but there will be a point where I have both in my garage, which isnt ideal.

Aside from that, if I do not sell off the alpha rig and begin the beta, there will be parts that end up missing, and my only choice will be to part out the alpha rig.

I dont need to move this thing right away, but as time passes, the chances of it being sold whole will diminish.

I wish you were closer! I think it'd be perfect for me.

I know you are looking at a new rig design Yoop. I mean, I have time... I really do. I cannot even fathom how long it will take to design something new and source parts.

I may end up on Craigslist with it, but Id prefer to find interest here at a slightly discounted price. We'll see

Back