Asheville NC trip suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckmanco

Reaction score
While this isn't homebrew related, I figured who better to ask than like minded people who make beer. Headed to Asheville NC at the end of this month specifically for beer. I've got 3 nights and days to get in all I can. I'm more interested in visiting breweries or brew pubs rather than tap houses, as coming from Richmond VA I'm betting our tap selection is fairly similiar, and as stated, my time is limited.

Anyone care to recommend where to go and in order of importance. Also, any recommendations on where to stay? I'm pretty excited about this place as a beer town, and any help is appreciated.

Go to the Wedge in the rivers arts district, it's an outside bar that has great beer. Greenman on buxton is good. Thirsty Monks for your sours/belgians and tons of craft beer in bottles. Brusin' ales is a great craft bottle shop, you got to check them out. There's Highland and Asheville Brewing Company has great pizza.Craggie brewery is alright.Oyster House Brewing Company has an oyster stout you should check out, it's also a restaurant.There is alot more too. As for somewhere to stay I can't help you there.

Asheville has been HOT lately so it is worth noting that neither Wedge nor Green Man are air conditioned. Great beer though. French Broad Brewing is one of my favorites. It's near Biltmore Village and just two miles from Green Man. And not air conditioned either. Oyster House Brewing makes the house beers for, and is located in, the Lobster Trap restaurant on Patton Avenue. I like their beer and there is always something on cask. Green Man, Jack-of-the-Wood, and Thirsty Monk also generally have cask offerings.

Cheers

I just went last week. The Highland Brewing tour was fun (free beer with a small suggested donation to a local food bank), and I had some great beer at French Broad, Wedge, and Asheville Brewing Company.

I had dinner at Jack of the Wood and deeply regretted it. The beer wasn't bad, but the food was awful. If I had it to do over again, I would have had dinner at Asheville Brewing.

I also tried Lexington Avenue Brewing - the beer's alright, but the atmosphere was way too "cool" and not enough "brewery" for me.

A little more out of the way (but totally worth stopping for if you're not too far out) is Heinzelmännchen Brewery in Sylva, NC. It's just a hole in the wall with some really good beer and sodas - you'll be drinking next to the fermenters, and the brewmaster will almost certainly be there.

Pisgah over in Black Mountain is my favorite of the local breweries, the Solstice is probably the best American brewed Tripel I've ever had.

Thirsty Monk is an "always visit" when I'm down there. Last time I was there, April of 2011, you could create your own tasting flight of any 4 Belgians they have on tap for $8. The samples are 4oz. so you're getting a pint of sho' 'nuff Belgian beer for $8.

You'll be able to get Sweetwater beers too, which are not distributed here in VA. That's always exciting to me.

Yeah, I like Pisgah as well. Organic, well made, and the site is a pretty good music venue.

You might want to check out the Asheville Brews Cruise. They operate van tours of various breweries. Helps solve the driving problem.

Only went there once, but definitely check out Wedge Brewing Co...it's just a cool place! I also enjoyed the Asheville Brewing Co.

If you can schedule a trip on the Brews Cruise Bus, do it. Get a driver to drop you off and pick you up, because you won't be able to drive home. My dad and brother and I did this a couple years ago. Bus tour with stops at about 5 local breweries, behind the scenes tours and talks with brewers, mucho tastings, a little food. It was a little stiff and uncomfortable at first, but everybody was best buddies by the end of the afternoon. Well worth the price ($50 bucks or so). One of the best "Local boy acting like a tourist" experiences I've ever had.

+1 to French Broad Brewing (my favorite by far) and the Wedge. Craggie downtown also has some interesting heritage recipes, including the Antebellum from an old pre-Civil War recipe dug up in the brewer's grandfather's attic.

Don't worry if you don't get to Asheville Brewing or Green Man or Lexington Avenue Brewing (LAB). IMO those are marginal compared to some of the other offerings.

^^^^ Really appreciate the info, and we looked into the brews cruise, but the warden will be driving, as she doesn't drink beer. Can't wait to hit French Broad and Wedge - everyone seems to like these. Hopefully I won't miss any of them, but with only thurs night thru Sunday morning, it could be tough.

Was up there over the weekend and really enjoyed Craggie and Wedge most. Very laid back and approachable for home brewers. Wedge does not have a bad beer on tap and is in a very cool little arts neighborhood. Craggie had 3 beers that stood out in their IPA , chipotle porter , and esb. Both are definitely worth the visit. Green man is also good and their pub has a very cool vibe to it.

Latest posts

Back