Enjoying my first Fat Tire Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohill1981

Reaction score
It has only been 4 weeks since i made my Fat Tire clone extract kit and tonight i prematurely popped open my first bottle from this kit and it tastes great. It has been over a year since i last tried an original. So i am not sure how close it is, but either way it is a great beer and can only imagine what they will taste like in 4 or 5 weeks. So much flavor!

Sounds great! Fat Tire is one of my absolute favorites. Which kit did you use?

NB makes a good clone. I made their extract kit last summer and everyone (even my brewing snob friends) loved it.

It's on my calendar for a future brew, though I'm going to try AG this go round.

I would also like to know which kit you used. I tried NB's kit a few months ago and it was okay, alot of my friends liked it but like you ... I probably haven't have fat tire in like 2 years.

I really dont like my NB Phat Tyre clone at all.

Explain please? Extract or All-Grain, and what don't you like?

If I had to be super-critical, I'd say it was slightly maltier than the real thing, but everything else seemed spot-on from my batch.

I used an Austin Homebrew kit and it turned out just great!

the fattire kit i buy from my lbhs tastes spot on or a bit better IMHO then the bottle.

high gravity fat tire clone

has directions and ingredients

BTW will be brewing this this weekend to get ready for buffett in april in dallas.

If you use a Belgian yeast you are not making Fat Tire. It is an American beer and the brewer says he uses an American strain.

Forrest

I was wondering that Forrest.

I made the AHS version. It was my first brew. Turned out very tasty. Not an exact flavor copy, probably because it was my first beer. But still very good, it will be a sad day when I finish it off.

Let them age , all dark beer, and/or all beer tastes better as it gets older
I have saved a few back from previous batches, its a shame that they could have all been that good. Let them sit for as long as you can stand it.

I hav'nt tried a FatTire yet, what's a good all grain version, anyone?

Yep, my first batch is a "Flat Tyre" kit from LHBS in NASA area, if that tells you how I like the original (mmmMMMmmm! , burp). I tried a two-week bottle a week ago and it pretty much just kinda sucked. I expect great things with patience, though.

I think I can stand to let it age for a very long time indeed if they don't improve at least somewhat... :)

Back