Belgain Wit dark color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

songe

Reaction score
Uuhm, yeh im kinda a noob at brewing :p But hey! learning by doing!

So i started a 5.2gal batch of wit beer 6 days ago! and this is kit beer1 (Havn't got the space for all grain yet*!)

I took a FG reading since the air lock stopped bubbeling. (yes i know i shouldn't be looking at that) but i got a tight seal, so i took a reading to see how far it had gone. Though what i found odd was that the color was more like a pale ale!

just wondering then! it started at 1062 OG and after 6 days it has reached 1052... I thought wit beers fermented Farley quick?

i added a can of LME wheat 1.8kg. Dunno if this has anything to do with the color?

** The taste is fantastic tho!

I bet that's where the color is coming from, the what extract. Was there any other crystal? What kind of yeast did you use, and what temp are you fermenting at?

Don't really know what you mean by crystal? Im only brewing kit beers you need to add water and yeast to brew beer from! :p

im using the WLP400 yeast

songe said:
Don't really know what you mean by crystal? Im only brewing kit beers you need to add water and yeast to brew beer from! :p

im using the WLP400 yeast

What kit is this? Is it hopped extract? If everything is added in the extract, then my guess that's where the color is from, and if it was boiled the whole time, that could contribute to the darker color. No biggie, my hefe I made in July was pretty dark but tasted awesome.

Don't rally know what you Americans call those kits.. but it is hops in it an all. but you don't need to boil it!

Another thing, Is there a limit to the OG before the yeast won't fully take of? (I had an OG of 1062 ish) Its been 6 days now, and i had to add a blowoff tube to my fermenter.

Silly Americans we are, but I am all swedish background, so we are technically neightbors! :mug:

It sounds like a Mr.Beer type brewing kit. Once you get into the higher OG's, 1.060 and higher, a yeast starter is recommended to get a healthy fermentation going right away. It sounds like your yeast and fermentation is taking off finally, it might hav been wise to add 2 packets of yeast. ( I am guessing that kit only gave you 1 dry packet of yeast?)

If you eventually get a bigger brewing kit for a bigger 5 gallon amount, then you can start working on the color and hops, and all that good stuff.

Hehe :p cheers! no this is no cheap crappy kit. Its a firm in norway that makes them themselvs! they are really good tasting beers too! What i did; one can of the beer extract kit, 1.8kg LME wheat and 250g ish DME wheat, used approx 250g for the yeaststarter i made ;). The thing tho! i had to move my carboy and there is allot more activity in it now

I took a FG reading since the air lock stopped bubbeling. (yes i know i shouldn't be looking at that) but i got a tight seal, so i took a reading to see how far it had gone. Though what i found odd was that the color was more like a pale ale!
the LME explains part of the color. the other is the yeast: it's still in suspension in the beer. let it sit for another week or so, and ideally cold-crash it for a few days afterwards, and you'll see that the brew will change color as the yeast drop out.

just wondering then! it started at 1062 OG and after 6 days it has reached 1052... I thought wit beers fermented Farley quick?
are you sure about that? dropping only 10 points over a week seems next to impossible. i could understand being stuck at 1.030, but 1.052? are you sure you read the hydrometer properly? what temperature are you fermenting at? how much yeast did you pitch?

used approx 250g for the yeaststarter i made ;). The thing tho! i had to move my carboy and there is allot more activity in it now
glad to hear things have taken off.

250 gr of DME for a starter - did you make a 2.5 liter starter? that's a really big starter for a 5 gallon/19 liter batch! the rule for starters is 100 gr DME for 1 liter, so if you used 250 gr then you must have made 2.5 L...

yeeah about that :p this is my second batch brewing with fresh yeast! The first one foamed all over my place after 12h, this one is foaming like hell right now :p

Im gonna use Mrmalty for my xmas brew.

Back