Lacto question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

octo

Reaction score
Does lacto off gas CO2? I currently have a berliner weisse that I pitched a lacto starter in yesterday (no yeast yet) and now it has a bunch of bubbles which appears like krausen on the top, but the bubbles aren't white like they were in the starter. It also has considerable air lock activity, but there doesnt appear to be any activity in the actual wort.

Yes, lacto fermentation that occurs in our brewing produces CO2 (heterolactic). Don't worry, let it do its thing and watch and learn.

ah, I thought I saw somewhere before that it didnt produce alcohol, so I just assumed that it wouldn't produce co2 either. Thanks though, I'll stop worrying about it now :D

Its the difference between homo and hetero - lactic fermentations. The former reduces pyruvate into two lactic acid while the latter reduces it to one lacto, CO2, and alcohol.

Its the difference between homo and hetero - lactic fermentations. The former reduces pyruvate into two lactic acid while the latter reduces it to one lacto, CO2, and alcohol.

Another difference between the two is that one is a lot sassier than the other.

Back