May have a problem.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foomoochoo

Reaction score
I accidentally crushed a SMS tablet and added it to a 1g batch of strawberry wine instead of a kms tablet. I was transferring from the primary to secondary. Is this going to be a problem for the wine yeast? I normally use the sodium for sanitizing my equipment and the potassium for an additive.

I accidentally crushed a SMS tablet and added it to a 1g batch of strawberry wine instead of a kms tablet. I was transferring from the primary to secondary. Is this going to be a problem for the wine yeast? I normally use the sodium for sanitizing my equipment and the potassium for an additive.

No, it'll be fine. The only difference will be that the wine will now have a trace of sodium present. You can't taste it or anything, but some people do watch their sodium intake. It's not much, though.

I can't really help as I have never made a wine, but I am looking for a good strawberry wine recipe. Would you consider sharing? If so, please let me know.

Thanks

This is the one I put together. It's pretty simple and It was spurt of the moment. We had leftover Strawberries from Strawberry Shortcake just sitting in the fridge and a 1g carboy not being used. So...

3.5lbs of strawberries
24 golden raisins
2-1/2 lbs. granulated sugar
2 tsp. citric acid
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast & nutrient

clean and cut the strawberries in half, add to bowl. Cover strawberries with 1c sugar, stir, cover bowl, set in refrigerator for 24-48 hrs. Add Strawberries, remaining sugar, and enough water for 1g, stir/crush strawberries until sugar is dissolved. Add citric acid, yeast, and nutrient. Cover with towel for 5-7 days, stir daily. Add 1 crushed campden tablet (if desired) and rack to secondary.

I will rack every 30 days or so until clear.

Back