Using a bottle tree...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
When using a bottle tree, what chemical do you guys (and girls) use? I was going to use StarSan, but I got to thinking about it and realized all of the foam that would arise from all the pumping. Has anybody encountered this problem? Or does it work fine? I know that its ok to get some StarSan in the carboy when racking, but is it ok for bottling?

I have the tree. First I spray it with Starsan, then to sanitize the bottles, I take a measuring cup of starsan like the one below.

measuring%20cup.jpg

Pour some starsan in, then with the bottle horizontal, rotate it so the solution coats the entire inside. Then pour it back in the cup. Dip the mouth of the bottle in the cup of starsan and then place on the tree. Repeat.

This method works very well with very little foam and you can sanitize a ton of bottles with about 12 ounces of solution.

No problem with starsan in bottles. I use it and the foam has never hurt any of my beers.

I keep a bucket of starsan around so I can submerge and fill as many bottles as I can cram into it. Then after 30-60 seconds I pull them out and drain and right onto the bottle tree (which has been sanitized with a starsan spray bottle). Repeat as necessary.

I found that if you swirl the bottle as it drains instead of letting it 'glug' you will get very little foam.

I don't use the sprayer thingy on the top of the tree. Just StarSan your bottles and stick them on the tree. There will be enough residual foam in the bottles to prevent any nasties from getting in there (plus, they're upside down).

Don't fear the foam! =)

-D

The foam is your friend! Love the foam!

I have a bottle tree with a vinator on top, and they make for a really quick job at sanitizing bottles. I jet with a bottle washer, then use the vinator to pump a spray of Star San inside the bottles and place them on the tree. The foam in the bottles ensures that no nasties get back inside. The whole process takes seconds per bottle and really cut my bottle washing time down.

bradsul said:
No problem with starsan in bottles. I use it and the foam has never hurt any of my beers.

I keep a bucket of starsan around so I can submerge and fill as many bottles as I can cram into it. Then after 30-60 seconds I pull them out and drain and right onto the bottle tree (which has been sanitized with a starsan spray bottle). Repeat as necessary.

I found that if you swirl the bottle as it drains instead of letting it 'glug' you will get very little foam.

I use the same process and it works great. If you do "glug", just let your bottles set on the tree for a little longer until they are dry. I do this and don't have any issues with bubbles.

Whenever I make a new batch of Star San I re-fill my spray bottle.

I spray down the tree with the bottled solution.

I use the pump thing and have to scoop out the bubbles every 5-6 bottles...not a hassle really since I know what the chemicals are doing.

3-4 pumps and the bottles are on the tree. To me "contact time" includes time on the tree.

No problems after all these years. ;)

Same as Fly Guy We do 12 oz to 32 oz bottles the same way along with our wine bottles.
bubbles are a good sign. If you have a huge amount of bubbles when filling the bottles with beer you will push them out the top. Even if you leave some Star San in its good for the yeast

Back