thinking about doing a late addition extract boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xbabyboy4021x

Reaction score
im heating up the water for my 3rd batch right now its a Brewers Best Weizenbier kit its just got hops and 6.6 lbs of muntons wheat LME, do u think it would be beneficial to add maybe 3/4 of one 3.3lb can at the beginning and then add 1 1/4 can the last say 20 minutes of the boil? or should i just boil it all at once?

You plan is fine. OR, you could reverse it and add MOST of the LME late. Either way, you're good!

well since there was no replies i added 1 can off the bat and going to add the other can in about 30 min so about 45 min into the brew

If you add the extract late, it will be like using more hops. You may end up making the beer more bitter than you want - or you might like it better.

If you add the extract late, it will be like using more hops. You may end up making the beer more bitter than you want - or you might like it better.

Do the math on the kit and you might find that the late extract addition may actually help you hit the IBU target. I recently did a BB porter kit, full boil. When I did the math to check what hopping adjustments I'd have to make to compensate for the full boil, I found that if I followed the directions to a tee, the bitterness would have been way low. I double checked with Beersmith and got similar results. If the kit had been dead on for it's 2.5 gal boil, it would have been over-hopped as a full boil or as late extract in a 2.5 gal boil.

Its obviously too late now, but if you do the math, you can check your hopping to see if late extract will help or hurt.

:mug:

Back