Coca-Cola's recipe cracked?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyPolock

Reaction score
I'm not a soda maker, but I stumbled on this like today.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/02/15/is-this-the-real-thing-coca-colas-secret-formula-discovered/

Here is a summary of why they believe it is the recipe for Coca-Cola:

"Producers of the radio program This American Life came across an article on the history of Coca-Cola in an old copy of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Coca-Cola's hometown newspaper. Published on page 2B on February 18, 1979, the article received little attention at the time. But, producers say, that's because no one realized the photo used to illustrate the story is a hand-written copy of John Pemberton's original recipe, jotted down by a friend in a leather-bound recipe book of ointments and medicines, and passed down by friends and family for generations."

It would be interesting if somebody would try this here and post their results.

Nope, still not working. Just copy and paste the address into your browser, that is working for me.

Figured it out, it's the stupid FYURL service this forum uses to get more ad revenue from outside links.

The recipe:

Fluid extract of Coca: 3 drams USP
Citric acid: 3 oz
Caffeine: 1 oz
Sugar: 30 (unclear quantity)
Water: 2.5 gal
Lime juice: 2 pints, 1 quart
Vanilla: 1 oz
Caramel: 1.5 oz or more for color

The secret 7X flavor (use 2 oz of flavor to 5 gals syrup):
Alcohol: 8 oz
Orange oil: 20 drops
Lemon oil: 30 drops
Nutmeg oil: 10 drops
Coriander: 5 drops
Neroli: 10 drops
Cinnamon: 10 drops

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/02/15...olas-secret-formula-discovered/#ixzz1E3gYZW8V

In a way, I really hope that it turns out to me an off-variety, or a prototype. Of course, Coke is so big now, that this really won't hurt them.

In a way, I really hope that it turns out to me an off-variety, or a prototype. Of course, Coke is so big now, that this really won't hurt them.

If you listen to the episode, that's pretty much what it boils down to... or at least they (Coca-cola) put it to very much that exact explanation - that the recipe was likely a prototype.

Also, This American Life had to scale the recipe based on extractions of oils 130 years ago vs. now, and sub out ingredients (phosphoric acid vs. citric acid, High Fructose corn Syrup vs. sugar, etc.)...

They end the episode on the idea that there's one thing that Coca-cola always will have, and that's 120 some odd years of marketing and sales that no "clone" recipe could ever match - which speaks to a completely subjective aspect of Coca-cola that reaches beyond the product/recipe itself.

Anyone think that maybe the reason the link isn't working, is because coca cola doesn't WANT the link to work.

paranoia.jpg

:D

do listen to the episode, free to download, it's interesting, and the coke representative basically admits that even if you could clone the stuff so much of the coke image is just that- the image, the marketing, the label, etc. so all the talk of cracking the recipe does is add to people's awareness of their product.
((also the second story on the guy who faked documents covering up jfk and marilyn monroe's love affair and almost got away with it is even more interesting than the coke one...))
oh yeah two other points from the show 1. that they re-made it by that recipe but then had to way scale all the flavorings down because they were so overwhelming, 2. you have to get the 'decocainized' cocoa leaves! ha!! apparently available online.

Back