Late hops additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know that hops are often added at flameout and also after fermentation (dry hops), but what about something in between: adding hops when the chilled wort is added to the fermenter, or about the same time as the yeast is pitched.

Would this result in more hops aroma than at flameout, but less than dry hopping? Is there some reason not to do this?

I know that hops are often added at flameout and also after fermentation (dry hops), but what about something in between: adding hops when the chilled wort is added to the fermenter, or about the same time as the yeast is pitched.

Would this result in more hops aroma than at flameout, but less than dry hopping? Is there some reason not to do this?

I can't answer your question as to the 'results' but I'll pass this along. There are breweries which pitch dry-hop additions before fermentation is complete. As I understand it the hops are added after the peak of fermentation has passed. They talk about it on one of the podcast at basicbrewing.com. I asked a similar question after hearing about it and apparently very few have done any such thing. I tried it with satisfactory results. To really know it's impact I think you'd have to do a side by side.

The reason they wait until the peak of fermentation has passed surely is to keep aromatics from escaping with the CO2. FYI they refer to it as 'hot side' dry hopping.

Schlante,
Phillip

Back