No Airlock action after 3 days... ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhoyt

Reaction score
This is my second batch of a nut brown ale OG 1.055. The first batch bubbled for almost a week, this one, three days... The only thing I did diffrent was an extra ounce of hops and a 1 pint yeast starter. I thought maybe I just got a good jump start with the starter but I just need some reassurance I guess. I also used a unsanitized strainer at the last second but that would affect fermentation would it? The airlock doesnt even have pressure... Am I just being paranoid??

It should be fine. I've had beers ferment out in 24 hours, and I've had other beers take nearly three weeks, so how long it takes really doesn't matter. You can just wait a week or so and take the SG to be sure it's really done.

Yes, you are being paranoid. :D Remember, the airlock is to keep nasties out, it is not a scientific device that shows the state of fermentation, that's what hydrometers are for! Have a homebrew and just let the yeaties do what they do. :ban:

I know how you feel. I still find myself staring at the airlock - even though I know it is virtually meaningless. Let it sit. If you are really curious, take a hydrometer reading (for my current batch, I lasted 5 days before my curiosity got to me). My airlock stopped after 2 days . . . 3 days later, I checked the SG and fermentation was almost complete (tasted good too).

At this stage, the only thing you can do is keep the yeast in their happy temperature range, and leave the beer be.

Thats one thing I like about clear carboys, you can see it working away even though the airlock doesn't show any activity. This doesn't mean that I think you need to go get all glass as I still use my ale pales since they don't break and are a lot lighter. Just cool to watch, I find myself starring away at my Apfelwein watching it bubble and chug away.

Thanks for all the info. Ill just let it chill for another week. Appreciate it

Back