Mashing gfree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvanLouis

Reaction score
I read online today that in order to get a good mash from gfree grains and psuedocereals you need to grind them, soak and bake into a dough, then crush up the dough for your mash. This is totally doable and Im willing to do it but....weird right?

That may work but, I wouldn't recommend. Just grind very fine and mash. GF grains have a higher gelatenization point. However, a finer grind will lower that point. Also, complete gelatenization is not needed for some conversion to take place.

You may get better extraction from a cereal mash, decoction, modified decoction, or this process but I haven't noticed a difference. A step mash may be needed. My single infusion millet based beer is still fermenting. I will note any downsides (head retention/formation, attenuation, etc) when it is done.

Not sure yet. Still waiting for the beer to finish up. Should have an update this weekend.

Everything seemed to go well. Good efficiency and no stuck sparge.

I just threw my strike water in at 1.25 qt/lb. Got it to 154, held it for 60 min, and then used boiling water to raise it to 170 for 10 min. Batch sparged and done.

The all grain forum has great tips for mashing.

How are their prices? I can malt fairly easily at home, except millet, I gave up and toasted them.

I get them at $2.50 /lb. You can get it cheaper if you buy in bulk directly from them. I am getting a 50lb sack of quinoa for a little over a $1 /lb. I am getting it shipped with my LHBS's order. Shipping is the biggest cost.

I will probably skip the bread making step and just crush and mash, but...

Osedax, what grains did you use (or recipe for that matter if you don't mid) and how did you crush them? Did you do a starch conversion test or add any enzymes?

I just received malted quinoa, millet, and buckwheat from CMC and would like to figure out a recipe.

I recommend my quinoa pale ale recipe. Its somewhere on here. I really should put it in the recipe section. I would change a few things, personally. I would also think about a single infusion mash. I have a chamomile ipa on here as well but, its not done conditioning yet.

I crush all my grains very finely with a corona mill. I use a voile bag as a filter. No added enzymes this go around. Seemed fine without.

I have a bunch of recipes not posted. If you give me an idea of what your looking for, I can point you in a good direction for a recipe. I know a lot of people are aching for a particular beer after going gluten free. I still have to figure out a gluten free wee heavy. Ha. :)

I recommend my quinoa pale ale recipe. Its somewhere on here. I really should put it in the recipe section. I would change a few things, personally. I would also think about a single infusion mash. I have a chamomile ipa on here as well but, its not done conditioning yet.

I crush all my grains very finely with a corona mill. I use a voile bag as a filter. No added enzymes this go around. Seemed fine without.

I have a bunch of recipes not posted. If you give me an idea of what your looking for, I can point you in a good direction for a recipe. I know a lot of people are aching for a particular beer after going gluten free. I still have to figure out a gluten free wee heavy. Ha. :)

Thanks for your assistance (and sorry for the hijack OP). I found your pale ale recipe and I will probably give it a go. In general though, I am not looking for a particular style, just what I can or should do with what I have (5# quinoa, 5# buckwheat, 7# german millet, all malted), and using the fine crush/voile bag, single infusion and added amylase. Any tips would be appreciated.

Kind of a thread hijack buuuut....

I used red siberian millet. Probably very similar. I recommend replacing 1# of quinoa, in my recipe, with 1# of white millet. Try to make some crystal malt to replace the lactose. It isn't hard, just long. Mash a little higher than a normal beer of this style. Cant help with efficiency. It just is what it is. Ferment like normal, wait at least two weeks, bottle or keg, and enjoy. :mug:

Feedback would be awesome if you brew it.

Back