Does anyone have a good Saison Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewLou

Reaction score
Just curious if any of you guys/gals have a Saison Recipe that you would like to share. Ive done a search on this forum, but did not really see any full write up. I would love to find something similar to Heavy Seas Red Sky at Night.

I also tried googling a clone recipe for a HSRSN but didnt find anything.

Thanks in advance!

This is one im gona make soon so i dont know yet if its any good, i will be looking at this thread in casa any good suggestions pop up

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 12.46 gal
Post Boil Volume: 11.96 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 11.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 11.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 13.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 84.3 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 51.3 %
5 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 25.6 %
2 lbs Wheat Malt, Dark (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 10.3 %
1.00 oz Galena [12.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 20.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 3.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 1.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 4.5 IBUs
0.25 tsp Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 10 -
1.00 Items Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 9 -
2 lbs 8.0 oz Candi Sugar, Amber (75.0 SRM) Sugar 4 12.8 %
1.0 pkg French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711) [50.28 Yeast 11 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 19 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 20.21 qt of water at 162.7 F 148.0 F 75 min

Here's the base recipe I've been playing with. I swap out the unmalted grain for different types from time to time. First I brewed it with rye and after 8 months with brett it has a very nice rustic earthy but slightly juicy fruit flavor. I really like it. The spelt version as listed here is really nice with a more in your face fresh hop bitterness compared to my bottled in August rye version.

The mash is designed for a brettanomyces saison. So if you don't add a brett strain skip the second mash temp at 158F. I do that via decoction because when I pull and boil the mash portion it denatures some enzymes and then also dextrinizes the remaining starches at the high temp. So far that's allowed my primary saison strains to pull it down into around 1.010 or a little less. Then the brett has something to consume for a bit. I bottle for 3.5vol but prime with less sugar than needed allowing the brett to carbonate by consuming residual extract in the bottle.

Spelt Saison
Saison
Type: All Grain Date: 6/26/2011
Batch Size (fermenter): 8.00 gal Brewer: Adam Cole
Boil Size: 11.19 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Brew Pot (10 gal) and Cooler (52 qt)
End of Boil Volume 8.84 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 8.00 gal Est Mash Efficiency 85.0 %
Fermentation: My Aging Profile Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
9 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (1.3 SRM) Grain 1 62.1 %
4 lbs Spelt, Rolled (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 27.6 %
1 lbs Vienna Malt (Franco Belges) (3.5 SRM) Grain 3 6.9 %
8.0 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.4 %
1.25 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 5 17.7 IBUs
1.25 oz Strisslespalt [2.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 1.5 IBUs
1.25 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 3.3 IBUs
1.00 g Seeds of Paradise (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 8 -
1.0 pkg Farmhouse Brett (East Coast Yeast #ECY03) [50.00 ml] Yeast 9 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.051 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.004 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.003 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.2 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.4 %
Bitterness: 22.6 IBUs Calories: 168.7 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 3.4 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Saison Total Grain Weight: 14 lbs 8.0 oz
Sparge Water: 4.12 gal Grain Temperature: 70.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 70.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Protein Rest Add 3.63 gal of water at 120.8 F 113.0 F 30 min
Saccrification Add 2.72 gal of water at 200.6 F 147.0 F 75 min
Dextrinize Add 2.72 gal of water at 186.3 F 158.0 F 20 min

Sparge Step: Fly sparge with 4.12 gal water at 168.0 F

I recently brewed my best saison yet with a super simple recipe. It was 100 % organic weyermann pilsner malt to about 1.058 northern brewer for bittering (30 bu's) and quite a bit of hersbrucker @ 15 min and 2 min. then i split the batch between harvested yeast from saison dupont and the french saison yeast from wyeast. Both are very nice but very different.

I recently brewed my best saison yet with a super simple recipe. It was 100 % organic weyermann pilsner malt to about 1.058 northern brewer for bittering (30 bu's) and quite a bit of hersbrucker @ 15 min and 2 min. then i split the batch between harvested yeast from saison dupont and the french saison yeast from wyeast. Both are very nice but very different.

I think this is a great call on how to learn saison.
I've done a couple now, and I've found myself getting too complicated on the grain bill on my first, which mutes the yeast flavors.
The yeast is the star, let it shine.
A simple malt bill: all pilsner, or maybe 5% munich, vienna, or biscuit to give just a bit more malt flavor and some candi sugar if you want. That's it.
You can add some spice, but I'd leave that until round 2 so you know what/how much to add. I think it's all too easy to overdo spices and other adjuncts which can completely ruin what would have otherwise been a really nice beer. Round 2 is where you make the really nice beer great.
Just my $0.02

The yeast is the star, let it shine.
A simple malt bill: all pilsner, or maybe 5% munich, vienna, or biscuit to give just a bit more malt flavor and some candi sugar if you want. That's it.
You can add some spice, but I'd leave that until round 2 so you know what/how much to add. I think it's all too easy to overdo spices and other adjuncts which can completely ruin what would have otherwise been a really nice beer. Round 2 is where you make the really nice beer great.
Just my $0.02

+1

Only brewed 1 saison so far and I kept to this KISS philosophy. I'll probably be keeping it just as simple for my 2nd attempt until I get the exact base that I want. Then split batches for flavor differences just for the fun of it.

I would include some amount, maybe up to 20%, of table sugar. Saison in the words of Jamil Z needs to finish "bone dry". The sugar will help with that. I have one going right now and after 9 days it is down to 1.005

I would have to agree w/ what most of these folks are saying about the grist, simple really is better. It IS the yeast thats the star here. Find a yeast you like and experiment! Drive the yeast, not the other way around. I'm a huge fan of the Wyeast Belgian Saison yeast. Knock out @ 70, let it rise to 80ish for 48 hours, and then it's a free ride( or I push it ) to 92-93ish for the duration.

I think the correct yeast and mash technique will negate the need for sugar. I only ever used sugar once in a saison and have since started using a brett blend saison yeast. I do 100% malt grists and end up super dry. My last one finished at 1.004 before I bottled. It picked up a little more carbonation over 4-6 months in the bottle from the brett. So it's likely at 1.002 or so.

For me I just go with pils and 20%-30% rye or spelt and use the same hops if I can. I like strisselspalt, stryian golding bittered up to 25-35 ibus and huge aroma/flavor additions.

I love Saison Dupont so last week I attempted to make my version of a clone. I used all Dingeman Belgian Pilsen malt and did a 2 hour boil to try and give it a golden color. I also used Dupont yeast that I had harvested from a 4-pack. My thread is here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/saison-dupont-329396/.

One week in and I just sampled, gravity is at 1.010 and it tastes wonderful even at 90 degrees temp which is where it's at right now. Hopefully it'll drop down to 1.005 like I want it to, but even if it doesn't I think it was a success.

Cheers!

I see a lot of Saisons recently the emphasis is on the hops. I fully agree on the simplicity of the recipe. The yeast will drive the flavors if you let it. I pitched the dregs of a Saison DuPont into my starter.

Farmhouse Ales by Phil Markowski is a good read with some recipes.

lpdjshaw said:
Periwinkle and Dok,
How'd you do your starter with the dregs?

I cracked open a bottle of SdP and drank it while I made a starter of 1.5 liters of 1.040. I pitched a vial of WLP 565. After I finished it I flamed the lip of the bottle and pitched it to the starter. I thought it might add a little funky stuff.

Back