are homedepot buckets food grade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried it, couldn't get a good seal on the lid, so I bought a $3 spigot from the lhbs and made it my bottler.

Just because you didn't get a good seal doesn't mean it won't work. Sanitize everything and the buckets should work fine. The airlock might not bubble, but that doesn't mean fermentation isn't happening.

I recommend not attempting to ferment a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon container though.

Only fits about 4.5 gallons of brew.

I use them all the time - don't even use an airlock, just set the lid on top. When fermentation calms down I snap the lid down until I bottle. I drilled a hole and added a botting spigot to mine, and it works great. You can do the a 5 gallon batch of cider in it since it doesn't foam up during fermentation.

They are not food grade. I believe they do sell some white ones (or maybe that's Lowe's) that are food grade, and I believe they are so labeled.

There are a CRAP ton of threads on this debate but I use the 3.5 gallon icing bins from my grocer because... they are free and I like to experiment with smaller batches. work great though and if need be you could always split a 5 into two...

I bought some buckets at Home Depot, but not the orange ones. They have white ones that are HDPE 2. Flip the bucket upside-down and read the markings on the bottom.

Types Of Plastic

In the United States, the following codes represent the seven categories of plastic used in nearly all plastic containers and product packaging:

HDPE 2 (high density polyethylene) is used in milk, juice and water containers in order to take advantage of its excellent protective barrier properties. Its chemical resistance properties also make it well suited for items such as containers for household chemicals and detergents.

EDIT* I should mention that the lids suck. I have had 2 lids break from general use.

I bought some buckets at Home Depot, but not the orange ones. They have white ones that are HDPE 2. Flip the bucket upside-down and read the markings on the bottom.

Types Of Plastic

In the United States, the following codes represent the seven categories of plastic used in nearly all plastic containers and product packaging:

HDPE 2 (high density polyethylene) is used in milk, juice and water containers in order to take advantage of its excellent protective barrier properties. Its chemical resistance properties also make it well suited for items such as containers for household chemicals and detergents.

EDIT* I should mention that the lids suck. I have had 2 lids break from general use.

You don't have to do all the work translating plastic types. The buckets in question literally say "food safe" on them. I use them for storing bulk grain.

well if the lids are not air-tite then forget it....but I wonder if they sell water bottles?? (it's a gift card thing lol)

Where are the food grade ones located within Home Depot (which department)? I have looked a few times and have never been able to find them... I need to get a few buckets for various brewing tasks and would rather have the "food grade" ones, if they are available.

Where are the food grade ones located within Home Depot (which department)? I have looked a few times and have never been able to find them... I need to get a few buckets for various brewing tasks and would rather have the "food grade" ones, if they are available.

I want to say it is the same aisle where they sell the trash cans and cleaning supplies. Or at least, very close to that area as I recall, at least at my local HD.

well if the lids are not air-tite then forget it....but I wonder if they sell water bottles?? (it's a gift card thing lol)

Airtight shouldn't be an issue. I bought my first bucket from my LHBS. My airlock almost never bubbles because of the lid not sealing perfectly. However, with the co2 production in fermentation, no o2 or anything like bacteria has infected my batches if you follow solid sanitation practices. Shouldn't be an issue unless you absolutely for 1 reason or another need an airtight seal.

I have about 5 of the orange "homer" buckets. for sanitizer bottling and misc. the ones I use are HDPE which is good to go.

HD orange buckets are not food grade. If you really want to buy buckets (instead of finding them for free or next to free from bakers or organic food co-ops), get the white 5 gallon paint buckets from Walmart for $2.97. If you google "Walmart food grade buckets" you will find threads (mostly on survivor boards) where this is discussed, and the link to the manufacturer to verify.

Don't assume, verify.

A major issue with re-cycled plastics is that you don't know what the plastic was used for originally.

After reading al ittle about Lowe's having food safe buckets, I found these on there website. They say they are food safe... I called my local store and they have 50+ in stock.

Lowes White Polyethylene Buckets

Has anyone here used these white buckets from Lowes?

Not sure about the white ones... I do know that the grey Lowe's buckets are not food safe.

636ca476.jpg

Food grade, yes. Baby pool, no.

CRAP!!! I bought these for our baby pool party this summer. Anyway, I use these to store my prepper food stores, and a few other things. Cheap, easy and I prefer Lowe's WAYYYYYY over Home Depot. But yes they are food safe, my thrid eye is from something else I did as a child!

636ca476.jpg

Food grade, yes. Baby pool, no.

Awesome!!! I was going to buy just the regular buckets for bulk grain storage, but if food grade is avalable then thats what I am getting. I also need a few more buckets for santizing and soaking bottles.

I use the Home Depot white ones. They are food safe and normally found in the paint section on a top shelf. There are also some translucent (near clear) lids at HD that are great for using as fermenter lids as they are easy to work with, I believe they are Loc-tight brand.

At Lowe's or HED do not forget to stop by electrical/hard to find hardware bin and grab up some 3/8" grommets to hold your blow-off tubes, airlocks, racking cane in place.

I've done business with a guy who makes buckets for HD. After seeing his facility, I wouldn't wash my dog in a Homer bucket.

I've done business with a guy who makes buckets for HD. After seeing his facility, I wouldn't wash my dog in a Homer bucket.

I don't know. My dog is a beagle. Perhaps the smelliest beagle ever seen. Couldn't hurt him being washed in a homer.

There are a CRAP ton of threads on this debate but I use the 3.5 gallon icing bins from my grocer because... they are free and I like to experiment with smaller batches. work great though and if need be you could always split a 5 into two...

This. Why pay when you can get free AND recycle?

drathbone said:
This. Why pay when you can get free AND recycle?

I drove around shopping centers scoping out the back looking for buckets and even spoke with different restaurants around here. No one would give me a bucket... Some restaurants were worried about the health department and others used all there left over buckets for things. I was expecting to get something, but after a few weeks of nothing I couldn't wait and headed to Lowes. Hahaha

Jester said:
I drove around shopping centers scoping out the back looking for buckets and even spoke with different restaurants around here. No one would give me a bucket... Some restaurants were worried about the health department and others used all there left over buckets for things. I was expecting to get something, but after a few weeks of nothing I couldn't wait and headed to Lowes. Hahaha

You go up to the bakery section of your favorite supermarket and ask if they have any empty icing buckets... They usually go through 3~4 on most days....

You go up to the bakery section of your favorite supermarket and ask if they have any empty icing buckets... They usually go through 3~4 on most days....

My local Wally World has caught on to the homebrewers and winemakers and started charging a dollar a piece for their bakery icing buckets.

my local supermarket bakery charges a dollar each as well, but seriously? a dollar a bucket? i can't complain. better than 8 or 9.

from what i have discovered (since yesterday) the lids are only as good as the care taken by the bakery employee when opened. i got two yestrerday, one keeps a solid good seal, the other, not even close. but, it's ok, i have one bucket to ferment in, and another to bottle from.

i bought a spigot from the hardware store, one intended for water bottles, got a section of tubing that fits it, and will be good to bottle from.

I'm not complaining... just stating that sometimes they charge. I don't (and wouldn't) ferment in these anyways. The seal doesn't matter, you can ferment just fine without a seal. They are usually all scratched up on the inside from where the employees were scraping out the icing and that is an open invitation to ruin a beer. I use them for grain storage and the like.

Back