Ghost of Christmas Beer II

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewUnited

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

New to the forums but, not really to Homebrewing. Have been an extract brewer for about 3 years. Now I am making the switch into all grain. I'm onto about my 5th batch and after making a Belgian Wit, Couple of Double Chocolate Stouts, Boddingtons Clone and a Scottish Ale fashioned after St. Andrews Belhaven I have decided to work on my first monster brew. I have to say this is by far the best community of brewers I have found on the web.

I had the luck to spend almost 2 months in Gent and Brugge Belgium last year sampling the beer and had to make something inspired but, not exactly like Westerleven 12 which I brought back into the country. In the spirit of this site I would like some input on how this beer gets brewed tomorrow or Sunday. Below are the ingredients.

12 Pounds Belgian Pilsner
4 Pounds American Vienna
2 Pounds Pale
.5 Dingermans Biscuit
1 Dingermans Caramunich
.5 Special B
.25 American Chocolate

1 Pound Dark Candi Sugar (I know I wish the syrup was at my LHBS)
WLP500 Trappist Ale
2 Ounces of Saaz Pellets
2 Ounces of Hallertau Pellets

I have some ideas on what temp to mash at for the 1st and 2nd running and also which order and how long to use the hops but, what is everyone's thoughts. Recommendations etc...

Good to be here,
Andy

Hey Andy,

Welcome to our community! The grain bill looks pretty good, the only thing I wonder about is the 2 lbs of pale malt. It doesn't really add anything to the recipe but if it's all you have to get to the proper gravity it's not gonna cause any problems. How dry would you like the beer? If you want it to get down pretty low, mash at 148 or 149 for 90 minutes. That grain bill is pretty big so unless you want it really sweet, I would at least keep it below 152. You might also trade out the pale malt for some more sugar additions. Check out https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-lb-sugar-jar-yeast-nutrient-114837/ for how to make your own candi syrup. I think it would be a great addition to your beer. As for the hops, I would bitter it to between 30-40 IBU. Use the hallertau at 90 to get you close to the right IBU. Use the rest split evenly at 20 and flameout, as well as 1 oz of the saaz at each. I'd pitch the yeast at around 68 degrees then let it ramp up to at least the mid-70s-80s. Should be good!

Awesome! Another NC Brewer.....yea the Pale Malt was more of a let's use up what we have. Awesome link about the candy syrup. Going to make that tomorrow. I tend to like a little sweetness so probably a 155 is in the cards and I like the IBU you have suggested. Great to meet you.

Back