Too much yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just read in another thread to not worry about fermentation delays, and to wait 24-72 hours for activity to begin...

I thought that I had somehow killed my yeast. About 36 hours had passed with zero activity. The original pitch: I added about 1 1/2 cups of wort to a sterile mason jar and added my room temp liquid yeast, shook vigorously.

This is my first non-kit brew, by the way.

I added more yeast after not seeing any signs of fermentation (same amount of liquid yeast) using the same pitching method, but stirring and aerating gently, not shaking it.

Fermentation began this morning. My airlock is very active.

Will my finished product be okay? Should I ferment as normal, or should I adjust my fermentation time?

-thanks
Partial-Mash Newb

P.S. The recipe is the "Porter" in The Brewmaster's Bible, if that makes a difference.

I just read in another thread to not worry about fermentation delays, and to wait 24-72 hours for activity to begin...

I thought that I had somehow killed my yeast. About 36 hours had passed with zero activity. The original pitch: I added about 1 1/2 cups of wort to a sterile mason jar and added my room temp liquid yeast, shook vigorously.

I added more yeast after not seeing any signs of fermentation (same amount of liquid yeast) using the same pitching method, but stirring and aerating gently, not shaking it.

Will my finished product be okay? Should I ferment as normal, or should I adjust my fermentation time?

-thanks
Partial-Mash Newb

P.S. The recipe is the "Porter" in The Brewmaster's Bible, if that makes a difference.

You don't adjust "fermentation times." Ever. Let it sit until it is done and you only know when it is done by reading a hydrometer sample.

-thanks
Partial-Mash Newb

The only way I can think of that you "killed" your yeast the first time was if the wort that you put it in was too hot.

How long did you let it gain a foothold and multiply in the starter before you pitched it? If you just added it, shook it up and then immediately pitched it, I'm afraid you didn't give it time to do any good.

Leave it alone 3 weeks in the fermenter and take a hydrometer reading. Chances are it will be well-finished by then.

You may want to consider making or buying a stirplate.

Back