3/16" Copper Tubing for Immersion Chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wittmania

Reaction score
I've been waiting a week for what I thought was 50' of 3/8" copper tubing I bought on eBay for an immersion chiller. I misread the posting and when it showed up today I realized that what I actually bought was 3/16" tubing.

I may try to exchange it at Home Depot (it's a brand they carry) toward 3/8" or 1/2" tubing if they'll let me. If not, I'm wondering if I could make it work. I only make 5 gallon batches in a 7.5 gal. kettle. I know a lot of guys only use 20 or 35 feet of copper for those sizes. Since I have 50' instead, would it work for me to use the smaller tubing with a longer length?

If not, anybody want to make me an offer on 50' of 3/16" OD copper tubing???

That's about 1/8" ID. No way it's going to do anything for you. You'd only get a trickle of coolant through it. If you absolutely had to make it work, I'd drill three 3/16" holes in two 1/2" copper caps, cut the 50' down to three lengths run parallel and solder them into the caps so you can attach 1/2" vinyl tubing. Still, even three runs of 1/8" ID is going to flow very little coolant water.

and.. (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) with such a small amount of liquid running through, the extra length doesn't make a big difference. With the small ID by the time the liquid covers a small distance it's already heated up and the rest of the run does no good.

My .02 would be to try to swap it for something bigger even if it means a shorter length.

ya... seems quite small to me. i'd try to exchange. 1/2 rocks for IC's. i used bobby's design for mine and it just crashes the temp in like 10 mins from boil to 70. 1/2 all the way if you can at all swing it.

Back