JAOM Sluggish Ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruger12pk

Reaction score
After having made quite few successful batches of JAOM, Ive just made one that now, at the 2 week mark is being very sluggish. It never really was at quite the fever pitch the other batches were at this point. Now Im getting a bubble every 15 seconds or so almost as if it were a "Show" Mead it would be nearing its first racking. Now Ive read the FAQ's on this and will be in the next few days be contemplating using the tips for restarting using 1116 or 1118 yeast strains.
I started this with D-47 and I thought I had aireated it enough like the other batches....So basically...If I need to slam some air into this should I draw off some and toss into a blender? I dont want to disturb the fruit cap at this point so early. Any ideas on getting this going again?

Thanks!!!:mug:

I would take a couple of gravity readings over the next couple of days. If it is changing (i.e. going down), then I don't think you really have a problem.

If it doesn't change, then you probably have a stuck fermentation (if the gravity is still pretty high).

Airlock bubbles are not a good measurement of activity. Many buckets and carboys will have a little leak in them so activity doesn't show as much in the airlock.

I will do that and thanks for the input! Its a very high gravity Must...I went with 20 pounds of honey and 5 large oranges....I had second thoughts with the D-47 from the beginning. I usually use the KV-1116 or 18. I may have just stressed it too much. But then IF it is a SF..then how should I re areate it?

Back