Hydrometer Reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRock

Always Ready
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My first attempt at Fermentation is with a batch of Ed's Apfelwein. I choose this for several reasons. First off, with 400 pages of thread it has to be good! Second it is quick to put together (no brew time, mash, etc) Third is it gives me some experience with all my new toys, for the next round, BEER!
Seems like a good route for any beginning brewer to me, of course I may be wrong, I often am.
So I took a Hydrometer reading after assembling my Apfelwein before sealing up the bucket. First mistake, I had already pitched my Yeast. Second mistake, I did not check the temp. of the mixture (Wort?). I did take note of the Ambient temp and the juice "should" have been pretty close to that. It had been sitting in the house for several hours.
Here is what I "Think" I have. 75* Ambient Temp. I could read the Balling Scale at 17. (Third, no glasses. But I could read the 17) That coincides with just under 9% ABV as expected. And a reading of 1.068 SG. I checked the chart and found a correction of 2. Leaving me with 1.070 OG. Does that sound correct? Should I pull another sample and try again, I mixed my Wort. (not sure this is wort, what should I call it?) Saturday evening at 10:30PM. If I get an OG that is not right how do I adjust to fix it? Is it OK to pull future liquid from the petcock at the bottom of the bucket?
Sorry for all of the ignorance, just trying to get a handle on this seemingly important step.

My first attempt at Fermentation is with a batch of Ed's Apfelwein. I choose this for several reasons. First off, with 400 pages of thread it has to be good! Second it is quick to put together (no brew time, mash, etc) Third is it gives me some experience with all my new toys, for the next round, BEER!
Seems like a good route for any beginning brewer to me, of course I may be wrong, I often am.
So I took a Hydrometer reading after assembling my Apfelwein before sealing up the bucket. First mistake, I had already pitched my Yeast. Second mistake, I did not check the temp. of the mixture (Wort?). I did take note of the Ambient temp and the juice "should" have been pretty close to that. It had been sitting in the house for several hours.
Here is what I "Think" I have. 75* Ambient Temp. I could read the Balling Scale at 17. (Third, no glasses. But I could read the 17) That coincides with just under 9% ABV as expected. And a reading of 1.068 SG. I checked the chart and found a correction of 2. Leaving me with 1.070 OG. Does that sound correct? Should I pull another sample and try again, I mixed my Wort. (not sure this is wort, what should I call it?) Saturday evening at 10:30PM. If I get an OG that is not right how do I adjust to fix it? Is it OK to pull future liquid from the petcock at the bottom of the bucket?
Sorry for all of the ignorance, just trying to get a handle on this seemingly important step.

1.070 or so sounds about right. I wouldn't take a sample from the bottom of the bucket- you'd probably get alot of trub and yeast after fermentation starts. I don't use the Balling scale, but I use the SG scale. You should have the SG scale on the hydrometer, too.

Yes the SG scale is there. I did not have my glasses on and the stinkin numbers were to small. I was able to read the Balling scale and read the rest with my glasses off that figure. My attempt with the Hydrometer was mostly for experience anyway. I figure this recipe has been done enough that it will work as is and I did not change anything. At this point I would only be guessing what to add to fix it if it was wrong. Add sugar, or more juice?
I'll have my glasses on in the future. And that is what I was wondering about the petcock.

Thanks,
Ron

Back