Winter's bourbon cask ale clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
I am looking to formulate a WBCA clone brewed under the Michelob lable. If you have ever had it, it is heavy on the carmel and has a pronounced vanilla sweet taste, along with some mellow oak. there is only a slight bourbon nose that you have to look for to get. From the website they wrote this "Winter’s Bourbon Cask Ale is brewed with Carapils, caramel and two-row barley malts and imported Hallertau and Alsace hops. It is then aged on bourbon oak casks and whole Madagascar vanilla beans. Bitterness 17, 12.6 original gravity" Could someone please help me come up with a recipe for it. Perferably someone who has tasted this beer, if not a call to all those great recipe generators!:)

So far all i got is to soak the oak chips in bourbon and rack from primary onto these chips with 3 vanialla beans. I do not know how much oak chips to add either. I am just starting to creat my own and am not very good

I had a sample of it, but I am by no means an expert on the beer. Personally I would go for something a bit hoppier, drier, and lighter on the vanilla, but happy to assist you in brewing a beer you enjoy.

Something like:
7 lbs Pale (if you get les than 75% eff, you might add another pound of pale)
1 lbs Crystal 60
.5 lb Carapils
.5 lbs Crystal 90

Mash @ 154 or so. OG around 1.050

17 IBUs of the hops of your choice at 60 min (Doesn't really matter what, but hallertau/strisselspalt if you want to stick to the original)

Ferment cool (~65) with a clean yeast, 1056/001 would probably be my choice.

Add the heavy toast american oak cubes (1-2 oz) that you soaked in bourbon along with the 3 vanilla beans (split) in secondary. Taste every week or so until the flavor is where you want it (if you aren't there after 3 weeks, and more beans and/or some bourbon).

cool thanks alot! would it be best to add the hops all at once at 60 min or do a 60 and 20 min addition. I know this beer is very light on hops so I would think 60 min would be fine do you agree?

sounds good could you describe it a bit more please? comparison to winter cask?

It’s been a while since I brewed these but I can still taste them just thinking about them! The Caramel Cream Ale is almost like candy. It reminds me of toffee or worthers original candy. The beer has a thick mouth feel and a definite toffee and vainly flavor. Just a word or caution read up on both recipes because some find the vanilla to be a bit much so you may want to scale it back a little. I myself found using all extract as I did for the first batch to be a little much. Not bad but it was so much like candy that 2 pints was about the limit for me per day.

When I did the Boom Boom I used only extract in the boil and the rest of the vanilla I made by slicing up some vanilla beans and soaking them in a beer bottle with a few ounces of bourbon. I shook this daily for about 3 weeks while the beer was fermenting and then used that for the vanilla at bottling and it was perfect. I did put more bourbon in mine since my vanilla was made with the bourbon and I still added more bourbon at bottling but it really smoothed out after a few weeks. Everyone who tried my Boom Boom immediately said that it reminded them of the Cask Ale but with a more pronounced vanilla and bourbon taste and more body. And the smell that will be coming from your fermenter will drive you crazy. Both of these are the best smelling beers I have ever brewed. I like bourbon so I went all out in mine if your not too sure then I would 1/2 the bourbon in you bottling bucket or keg give it a swirl then taste it and judge if you need more. :mug:

Ryan

so did you use 4 beans then during bottling? which would be around $20 in beans alone! you said the vanilla extract seemed harsh. was this pure or imitation extract? was it a nice extract or cheapo extract. Also just wanted to make sure you did 2 onces of vanilla extract during boiling then additional vanilla (4 oz or 4 beans) during bottleing

so did you use 4 beans then during bottling? which would be around $20 in beans alone! you said the vanilla extract seemed harsh. was this pure or imitation extract? was it a nice extract or cheapo extract. Also just wanted to make sure you did 2 onces of vanilla extract during boiling then additional vanilla (4 oz or 4 beans) during bottleing

I will get back to you today. I found my notes last night and also some literature that I got at a tasting from the brewery on this beer that has the hops and specs. Once I get it all together I will post it up.

Per Anheuser Bush on line
Introduced:
First introduced in 2005. Available seasonally November through January.
Beer Category/Style:
Oak and Vanilla-Aged Ale (Winter Seasonal)
Taste Profile:
Winter’s Bourbon Cask Ale has a smooth, robust taste full of rich aromas, hints of vanilla and flavorful hops.
Ingredients/Brewing:
Winter’s Bourbon Cask Ale is brewed with Carapils, caramel and two-row barley malts and imported Hallertau and Alsace hops. It is then aged on bourbon oak casks and whole Madagascar vanilla beans.
Food Pairings:
Winter’s Bourbon Cask Ale provides a balanced accompaniment to full-flavored foods like clam or corn chowder, soft cheeses like triple-cream brie or Camembert, pork roast with applesauce or creme brulee.
Glassware Suggestions:
Serve this beer in a tulip-shaped glass to showcase its deep auburn color.

Now per the hand out at the tasting.

ABV 6.0%
Calories 165
IBU 17
Malts 2-Row, Dark Roasted Carapils, Caramel
Hops EU-Hallertau & Strisselspat
Other Bourbon Staves, Vanilla Beans

It says Hallertau is the main hop fermentation is at 65-75 serve at 36-38 at 12-14PSI.

Here is what I will be brewing this weekend. I calculated this using Brew Pal on my iphone. Some things to consider is that Brew Pal did not list Strisselspalt or Alsacr hops from what I found online Mt Hood and Crystal can be used as substitutes and I know my local shop carries them so that’s what’s listed but if you can find the original hops please use them.

Also I will be roasting the carapils since the brew house ligature says DARK ROASTED. I will roast it for 30-45 minutes. I also bumped up the crystal and carapils a bit I really want a good mouth feel for this. If anyone thinks those numbers are too high please chime in.

Now on to the good stuff the Bourbon and Vanilla.
IN BOIL
4OZ Lactose last 15
Irish Moss last 15
2 OZ pure vanilla at the at flame out or just before.

Priming/Keg Two options please pick one.

Option 1

2OZ Bourbon or more to taste + the following (option 1 only)

2-4oz vanilla made beforehand. I made mine by using 2 beans cut into 3” sections then split as thin and you can. I was able to split/cut the bean sections into about 6 slivers each. Then I placed the slivers into a clean beer bottle and filled with Vodka until the beans were just covered. Cap bottle and shake as many time a day as you can. Put it by your front of back door so every time you pass it you can give it a shake! I list 2-4 oz for this vanilla since depending on how long you let this sit and how often you shake it that will determine how strong it is. Take a taste of it before using and judge for yourself. Start off with 2 oz give the beer a gentile swirl and taste. Also please use decent Vodka for this please no plastic bottle Vodka here!

2nd option. This is what I did the second time I brewed this. I made the homemade Vanilla for the priming/keg using Bourbon and not Vodka. I omitted the previous 2 oz of Bourbon and used 4 oz of Vanilla/Bourbon. Mixed and tasted than added pure Bourbon to taste. I want to say I added another ounce of Bourbon but I like Bourbon. Many may say just the Bourbon/Vanilla extract is enough.

Option 1 gave more of a sweet Vanilla taste with a Bourbon finish. Option 2 was Bourbon all the way with a undertone of sweet Vanilla.

YEAST??? I made used both American Wyeast and German Wyeast
Winters Bourbon Cask Ale
Grain weight 14.4 pounds
Efficiency 70%
Original gravity 1.061
Final gravity 1.015
Alcohol (by volume) 6.0%
Bitterness (IBU) 18
Color (SRM) 10.9°L

Yeast
3 liquid packs
Wyeast
1056 American Ale

Grains/Extracts/Sugars
14.4 pounds
2 Row Base
37ppg, 1.5°L 12 pounds
83.3%
Crystal 60L
34ppg, 60°L 1.5 pounds
10.4%
CaraPils
33ppg, 1.5°L 0.9 pounds
6.3%

Hops
2.22 ounces
Hallertauer hops
5%, Pellet 1.02 ounces
Mount Hood hops
5%, Pellet 0.6 ounces
Crystal hops
3%, Pellet 0.6 ounces
Mash
45 minutes, 10.5 gallons
Strike
Target 150°F 4.5 gallons
163°F
15 minutes (+0)
Sparge
Target 170°F 3.0 gallons
187°F
Sparge 3.0 gallons
170°F

Boil
60 minutes, 7.8 gallons
Hallertauer hops
5%, Pellet 1.02 ounces
60 minutes (+0)
Mount Hood hops
5%, Pellet 0.6 ounces
20 minutes (+40)
Wort chiller 15 minutes (+45)
Crystal hops
3%, Pellet 0.6 ounces
2 minutes (+58)

Ferment
14 days @ 60-72°F

I am also considering adding some Oak chips to the homemade extract. And for the extract if you make your own let it sit as long as possible. I fermented my beer for 3 weeks with the beans soaking the entire time.

cool so the only time you added any bought extract was during the boil?

cool so the only time you added any bought extract was during the boil?

Yes. The first time I made Cheesefoods Caramel Cream Ale I used all extract and it was very sweet and very expensive. The second batch and the Bourbon Boom Boom I used only store extract in the boil and homemade for the rest. I found this to be way easier on my wallet but also the vanilla was not as overpowering as the first. I can’t wait to brew this on Sunday! :drunk:

As long as you get the beans soaking in either Vodka or Bourbon now it will be ready to use for priming or kegging in a few weeks. This beer also had no issue sitting in primary for three weeks.

Old Thread Bump!

I will be brewing this weekend and wanted to try out the recipe in post #13. I'm not too sure about this line, however,

"Also I will be roasting the carapils since the brew house ligature says DARK ROASTED. I will roast it for 30-45 minutes. "

Can I just aquire carapils from the lhbs and throw them in the oven? If so what temp? Also, is there a alternative grain I could use?
thanks in advance for the help! -Mike

Old Thread Bump!

I will be brewing this weekend and wanted to try out the recipe in post #13. I'm not too sure about this line, however,

"Also I will be roasting the carapils since the brew house ligature says DARK ROASTED. I will roast it for 30-45 minutes. "

Can I just aquire carapils from the lhbs and throw them in the oven? If so what temp? Also, is there a alternative grain I could use?
thanks in advance for the help! -Mike

I'd bet there is a comma missing ( http://westcm.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/winters-bourbon-cask-ale.pdf ). Most likely there is dark roasted (chocolate malt?), carapils, and caramel.

Bump on this old thread. Some good info here.

I have this up to brew next. I recall tasting this some years ago and thought it was actually pretty decent. Must have been close to when they retired it, because I didn’t see it much after that. I gather from reading other things and reviews and such online that it was not very popular. I feel like this would be great to have for the holidays though.

I bought the snowman tap handle for this a few years back and I’ve wanted to brew it, was always sort of on a back burner. I have a Scottish ale yeast that I think will work well with it. I’m going to use oak cubes soaked in bourbon with vanilla beans. Since only a light bourbon/vanilla flavor is required I only plan to leave it on the cubes for maybe a week or two.

IMG_3002.jpeg

IMG_3003.jpeg

Last edited:
Can't wait to see how your batch turns out. The base recipes looks intriguing and the bourbon/oak should really make it shine.

I've been making a few if my recipes as bourbon owned version. Always fun to try something else.

Good luck with your brew!

So following up on this, here is the recipe I used.

3 gallon batch
OG 1.066
FG 1.017
%ABV 6.5
IBU 24
SRM 15

3.5 lbs Maris Otter Malt (Warminster)
3 lbs Breiss 2-Row (what I had on hand)
14 oz Crystal 60L
7 oz Carapils
2 oz Acid Malt
2 oz Chocolate Malt

Mash 152 for 60 min
Mash out 165 for 10 min

3 oz Corn Sugar (boil 60 min)

60 min Mt Hood 4.5% .7 oz
60 min Hallertauer 3.2% .7 oz

Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale Yeast

I adjusted my water to
Ca 71 Na: 41 CL: 71 SO4: 71

Approx 1.5 oz oak chips soaked in bourbon for at least 1 week with 1 vanilla bean. I have Wild Turkey 86. Oak chips + Bourbon added to secondary for 2 weeks

I also added a small amount of vanilla flavor from Apex Flavors at bottling

Kegged 12/5 I am enjoying it still

IMG_3357.jpeg

Last edited:
Back