Silly hops question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraptainWirtz

Reaction score
Hopefully I can articulate this question alright...are there any hop varieties that just have a vaguely "hoppy" flavor and aroma? You know when you open a hop package and it just smells like HOPS. At least to me. I'm getting a little sick of pale ales with super citrusy hops...or Willamette hops, which I like a lot but have been using too much recently. I'd like to expand my horizons a little. Any help?

Thanks,
Mark

Is this what you were thinking of?

HopsWheelKreitzsm.jpg

That's pretty cool, but it doesn't help me figure out what I'm actually looking for. Is what I consider "hoppy" just herbal, and maybe piney/evergreen? Regardless, I'm bookmarking that image, thanks!

The noble hops and their derivatives are stereotypically "hoppy" - in other words, the hops in the center of the flavor wheel posted above.

Yeah that's a version of it. There's a very similar one in "Brewing Classic Styles" that might be a bit more specific and includes more hop varieties, it's just a black and white version. I think if you're tired of citrusy, try the opposite end like Chinook. There's an example of exclusive use of Chinook that you might want to try called Stone Arrogant Bastard. Some of the English IPAs use more of the spicy hops too like northern brewer.

I've had Arrogant Bastard; I'll have to try it again some time and really focus on the hop flavor. I'll probably also try to brew a pale with some of those central hops at some point in the future. Thanks for the help guys!

Try Mount Hood if you're looking for "hoppy" they way you're describing it.

I second this. I grow these and I'd say they may fit what op wants. Big earthy floral, very slight lemon. Not very pungent and very pleasant.

Latest posts

Back