Is it time to bottle yet???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, is it? My pear cider has been in the jug for 5+ weeks now. Went to secondary after four weeks. That was when the primary fermentation slowed to a near halt. But now it has a little newfound vigor. It has started to bubble again. Slowly though, but still showing activity nonetheless. Got some new bubbles on top, but without any kind of yeasty material. Is this bad? I want it to finish with some carbonation, so what to do next? I have finally gotten over the first week impatience that had me waking up to check on it. But I want to make sure I am still on track. So where do I go now? Leave it in the carboy? Transfer it? Add something? A little help will be very much appreciated.
Oh, and it smells great! Hope it tastes as good!

The primary acid in pears is malic. Unless you changed the location to a warmer room when you put it in the secondary and the primary ferment was really not done yet, it sounds like you might have MLF developing (wiki "malolactic fermentation").
If so, you do not want to bottle it until that new "fermenting" activity stops. So at this point, do not open the carboy top to let any more oxygen in, wait until the new bubbling stops and then rack or bottle.

Tough without gravity readings. Also, sometimes after racking, you "stir" up some yeast and nutrients if it has already flocculated. If that's what it is, and the yeast is in suspension again, there's allot more surface area for them to consume any residual sugar in the must. You could always bottle, periodically check carbonation until it suits you and pasteurize per:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy-stove-top-pasteurizing-pics-193295/

It doesn't sound bad.
Let it sit for a month before you rack.
Then you can rack to fulfill you urage to do something! :)

I never carbonate my cider, so not sure on that part.

I have zero patience, so not sure why I make my own brews, which require tons of patience... :)

I'm not a expert but i would assume you could bottle it as long as you check it frequently for carbonation and then pastuerize as soon as it reaches the level you want and then you wouldn't have bottle bombs to worry about.

Back