kegerator top build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastiebrewer

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the ideas and how-tos on the sight. Converting my system to a two tap system is something I have wanted to do for a while. The swmbo wanted to experiment with some liquid acrylic and she put together some ideas and I got to buy a saw.

The old tower

ATT_1355099271490_photo.JPG
Some rough eyeballing

ATT_1355099255921_photo.JPG

Decided to make the box smaller to allow more surface area on the top.

ATT_1355099185343_photo.JPG

This is were swmbo and her ideas kicked in!! The railings and moulding create a border for the acrylic!

ATT_1355099202797_photo.JPG

ATT_1355099167282_photo.JPG

ATT_1355099153276_photo.JPG

ATT_1355099138604_photo.JPG

Laying on some stain and pasteing down labels of some our favorite brews plus ones that just look cool. We were also laying the acrylic thick so we can throw in some caps as well.

ATT_1355099122372_photo.JPG

ATT_1355099091049_photo.JPG

Poured acrylic and waiting to dry.

ATT_1355099072865_photo.JPG

Now time for some plumbing to attempt to keep the lines cool to prevent foaming. The pipes run trough to about the bottom of the kegerator.

ATT_1355099059267_photo.JPG

ATT_1355099041001_photo.JPG
Still need to stain the lid but may change it still not sure though.

ATT_1355099022454_photo.JPG

photo.JPG

Love not having to open the door to get to the second keg! My girls ideas really made this thing awesome and really excited about how it turned out!!

Attachments

• ATT_1355099230591_photo.JPG
    ATT_1355099230591_photo.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 1,308
  • ATT_1355099217245_photo.JPG
    ATT_1355099217245_photo.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,248
  • ATT_1355099108602_photo.JPG
    ATT_1355099108602_photo.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 1,187
Apologies about the pics being all different angles. Took them with my iPhone and they were all right size up when I viewed them on my tablet. Also for those random pics at the end. First time posting pictures I clearly need some practice lol.

I really like the way the acrylic turned out. Might have to steal that idea for my on-going keezer build. Good work!

Thanks man. Again wish I I could take credit for it but it was my girls. The stuff is super easy to use just make sure your in a well ventilated area. Of course it probably didn't help we were so excited we hovered right on top of it watching it dry.

I like the top, the mix of caps and labels breaks it up nice.

I'm a big fan of using the copper pipe in the tower for cooling but it looks like it may be tough to change out the lines with the angle of the copper. Hopefully you didn't solder those connections.

The only thing I would suggest is to add more insulation in the tower. Instead of using more expanding foam you could use styrofoam packing beads, the stuff they use for bean bag fill.

Didn't solder them. Just slightly ovaled out the pipes so they fit tight. Gonna finish up insulation after I change out a line. Have you used the packing peanuts before?

What is the actual product that you used for the top? Order or online or from big box store?

Yes I use the styro peanuts now in my coffin. I was going to buy the small ones (bean bag fill) at Walmart but got a package in the mail with large ones and decided to use them.

I would imagine that the smaller fill would work better due to less air space. If you have to change your line or work on the tower just vacuum them out and add more when done.

i just found this thread as well great job on the kegorator man. what acrylic did you use and you remember where you got it at?

Thank you. Came out better then we thought it was going to lol. Its called envirotex lite and I got it at micheals, a craft store.

i love that acrylic stuff. we used it on a poker table build for the race track portion and it has held up really well.

We bought two boxes with 32oz in each but learned that we only needed a little over half of one. Live and learn I guess, more to use on other projects I guess lol.

Hey, AWESOME build. I am new to Homebrewing and decided to go the keg route and realized i wanted to make a kegerator.

While i looked for DIY projects yours was #1 right away. I loved it so much i built mine just like yours. I attached a picture so you can see it. Great job on your kegerator top and Cheers!

image.jpg

Very nice man, came out nice and clean i like it. And thanks. Lol if I didn't know any better I would have thought you raided my place for my left over parts. But I am flattered that somebody liked it enough to build one there selves. My girls gonna flip when I tell her since it was mostly her idea.

Went a different route but finally got started today. Quick question how did you attach your new top to the fridge? I was thinking contact cement but it is nasty stuff to have around beverages

image-1148107521.jpg

Res , looking good man. mine is not attached to the fridge. It just sits on top. So far no problems as far as it moving around if that's what your concerned about.

Back