My first All Grain batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j3r3my

Reaction score
I have done a couple partial mash brews, and wanted to try all grain, but live in an apartment and have a wimpy stove top. I would buy a Braumeister but don't have 220 and I don't want to run a turkey fryer 20 feet out in my drive way.

For my mash tun, I used a true brew 6 ish gallon bucket (with spicket) and a home made false bottom (no tools required).

First, the recipe:

I used Cream of Three Crops but modified it to three gallons.

Recipe:

4 lbs light malt (don't remember brand, some German name)
1 lb Flaked Maize
.25 lb Minute Rice
3/8 oz Crystal Hops
3/8 Oz Willamette Hobs
1 Package Safale us-05
Sprinkle of Irish Moss

Mashing:

I mashed for 60 minutes at 145

Vorlaugh:

I vorlaughed with a one gallon pitcher about 10 times (filling pitcher 3/4 of the way).

Sparg:

I sparged for 70 minutes at 160. I set my timer for 60 but it took extra time as I had my valve barely open. The lhbs guy said take my time, and I forgot to pickup a pound of dry malt extract so hitting my numbers was important . Besides, it's sunday, what else am I going to do. I am sparging water into what will be my primary fermenter.

Hot Liquor:

For my hot water, I used my brewing vessel and kept water at 160 ish.

On to Pictures:

Sorry for so many pictures, I like pictures, I learned a lot here from others pictures. (learned there is a 10 picture limit hah)

Mashing In:
Mash%252520In.jpg

Vorlaughing:
Vorlaughing.jpg

Sparging:
Results%252520of%252520Sparging.jpg

Tin%252520Foil%252520defelector.jpg

Sparging.jpg

My home made false bottom: (part veggie steamer part destroyed colander)
Home%252520made%252520false%252520Bottom.jpg

The Final Product:
Wort%252520before%252520yeast.jpg

Wort%252520in%252520fermenter.jpg

This is what was left in my pot: (is this normal?)
Gunk%252520left%252520in%252520kettle.jpg

Last, in the keezer to ferment. (white lid)
Fermenter%252520in%252520Keezer.jpg

I learned a lot with this batch, I sorta freaked at the beginning of boil when my sugar was off, but after the boil and chill I ended up okay. The wort ended up darker than I wanted it to be, so next time I will start my boil with more water i guess.

If you are on the fence about all grain, its not that hard, and other than my extract gear, I spent $16 for the bucket and about $20 on the false bottom. It does take longer though.

EDIT: I don't know how to calculate efficiency, but I ended up at 1.050. Can someone help me with that? I have beersmith but am not to familiar.

all looks great. good job on your first ag. it's a blast isn't it? my concern is that your mash was at 145. on they very dry, low end (think pilsners, i'd do maybe 148 or 149). On the high end of the spectrum, i'd mash at 158. That's the general rule of thumb for converting those starches into yeast hungry fermentables.

You got an OG of 1.050 so your one target for a 5%er. It's going to be very dry and crisp, which would be good in this beer. 145 seems too low though for future brews. let us know how it turns out

148 and 149 is typically for pilsners but will lend a very dry and crisp brew. 154 will give a medium body and higher than that and you'll get a full body brew. 160 is used as a mashout temp and ceases enzymatic conversion.

Back